Sign in to follow this  

gas tank leaking does anyone make a sealer kit or have a better idea?

It's not for a YZ250F, but there's some smart guys on here, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I have a friend that has an old IT175 Yami, not a lot of money and the plastic tank is leaking and was wondering if there's a quick fix to seal a gas tank. The leak is very small but hard to get to, it would have be done with a sealer from inside the tank.

Any ideas?

Honestly the last tank I repaired that had a hole in it I just emptied the tank, washed it out with simple green and dried it out via sitting it in front of a heater. Then I used a propane torch and melted some plastic from an old fender. Once it turned liquid I poured it on the damaged spot and used a steel putty knife to smooth it over. That was done 2 years ago and it hasnt leaked since. Didnt cost me anything but time.

I repaired my ktm300 tank in similar fashion. Used black plastic spray paint cap and soldering iron to heat the plastic up. I added the plastic cap (cut into strips) and melted that into the tank plastic. When it cooled, it didn't leak. That was last summer.

There's a product called "Kreem" that's made for sealing tanks. Works well on small holes...

The easiest thing i did was take a used tube of gutter/sidding putty and smear that on in a good coat. It didnt leak since and i even let it dry in cold weather.

I repaired a crack (1 inch long) using JB weld and so far so good. Please note that this is basically a temporary solution until I can find a replacement tank.

Good luck