Sign in to follow this  

KTM Newbie- Need your wisdom

I have a Yamaha 450 and a street legal xr. I am getting rid of both of them in hopes of getting a street legal dirt bike. I have been wanting to do the "orange" thing for a while and have made up mind.

I am looking at pre-owned (2006 or newer) Please tell me what models am I to look for and the pros and cons between a 450 and 525 (weight, power, rideability, etc).

I do desert offroad riding and would say I am at the intermediate level. 30 years old and 200 LBS.

Thanks in advance.

the models to guaranty a legal street plate is only the 2007 450/525 exc or the 2008 and up 450/530exc.

no other model is street legal except the big lc4 bikes like the 620/625/640...you dont want those, they are no better than your plated xr.

there are occasionally 2000-2006 mxc,exc,xcw bikes you see with plates and if they were plated before 2004 you are fine, if plated after, there is a debate as to if or when the dmv will revoke the illegally plated bikes.

im not saying they will, and i dont want to start a big debate.

but the only models that were sold as street plated bikes by ktm were the 07 and up exc line.

as to feel of sizes...they weigh exactly the same {within ounces} but they do FEEL different. the 450 feels a little lighter and more nimble. but not alot. the motor has plenty of power, but is very electic feeling, some even think it feels soft on power.

it has plenty of power in reality, but it is very linear.

the 525 and 530 are completely different bikes and motors....but feel amazingly similar.

the big bikes have alot of power, it really wakes up if it is desmogged, jetted and the exhaust is derestricted.

then they really pull hard. for me i like the big bike, the feel of weight is not that much, and the power feels like alot more. on a dyno it is probably not a giant difference, but it feels like alot

• Like 1

Thanks for info. I was leaning towards the bigger bike and think you made my mind up for me. I did not know the weight differerence was so little.

if you like the hit and pull of your yz450 you might want the 525/530.

as the bigger crank rotates it raises the rotational mass and feels a bit heavier, but they are not actually heavier, worth the power to me over the minor feel of weight