Sign in to follow this  

Anyone else have this psychological problem ?

At my home track and home riding areas I FLY. I hit every corner perfectly, just do everything perfect and no one keeps up with me

But then I hit a local supercross tracks and Im one of the slowest out there. Never big a been fan of supercross riding however I should still be able to use the same skills at home when using a public track ?

Maybe your so used to your home track that it is no longer challenging your abilities. So when you go to the other tracks you struggle more and need more practice on that track.

I had that happen last year. This one track out the 15 or so I ride/race at I did TERRIBLE. And it's mostly the same guys that follow the series, so it's not like it was just faster guys or anything. I felt like I was riding really good, too. It was strange.

It does occasionally happen to me as well my first time at a track and being the first one to go off a jump. Ill get cold feet even though I know Ive got way more than the speed needed to take off from it.

The "Ability" to read a track sooner, then the other riders, is part of 'winning' racing!

Pro racers have the same problem , it is nothing uncommon ,one of the keys is to watch how the guys going faster are using the obstacles on the track to make them faster than the other riders , its all about being comfortable on that track , that is why you excell on your track , because you are comfortable , and know what lines are faster and when to use them , its the same for every track , you just have to figure out what lines work for you (it may not be the same lines others use) , the more frequent you ride that track the more you become familiar with it .

Bike setup also plays a key role in this , you can't go to every track and leave your suspension settings the same ,though tire selection does play a part , it is a much smaller part than proper suspension setup , one setting does not work in all situations , and you will become faster on those tracks once you find the correct settings and lines for each specific track !

I try to mix up the tracks I ride on. Its a given when you do the same action over and over you are going to be comfortable, but when you experience something other than normal it feels very out of place. :ride::thumbsup:

I love it when someone rides a track like 4 or 5 days a week and knows every bump and clod of dirt and get the big head. Then they go off to a track where there is no open practice and get like 15th or 20th in C.

I love it when someone rides a track like 4 or 5 days a week and knows every bump and clod of dirt and get the big head. Then they go off to a track where there is no open practice and get like 15th or 20th in C.

well *** lol thats me except for the big head

At my home track and home riding areas I FLY. I hit every corner perfectly, just do everything perfect and no one keeps up with me

But then I hit a local supercross tracks and Im one of the slowest out there. Never big a been fan of supercross riding however I should still be able to use the same skills at home when using a public track ?

SX is a different animal, so says a buddy of mine. He's an A rider now and used to have his pro card. He says he could just never get the timing down.

I don't have that problem. Consistency is my name.

I am slow as hell MX or SX. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

well *** lol thats me except for the big head

haha..That wasn't directed at you, man. It just reminded me of some local riders around here that act like that.

The best way to solve this is to ride and race at more tracks. I find myself getting comfortable at certain tracks, which is great unless I know I'm going to be racing. If you want to be faster at other tracks, you'll need to ride a bigger variety of tracks to get better at learning them quicker.

Supercross is a whole other animal though, I don't even like the feeling of arenacross type tracks/indoor tracks, seems like every little mistake you make is amplified. Where as outdoors you can pin it and get a little sketchy and still be OK (especially in sand!).

The best way to solve this is to ride and race at more tracks. I find myself getting comfortable at certain tracks, which is great unless I know I'm going to be racing. If you want to be faster at other tracks, you'll need to ride a bigger variety of tracks to get better at learning them quicker.

plus one..

ride different places and get used to not knowing every corner and every jump

I just came back to the MX track after many many years off. One thing I did recall about racing was what someone else in this thread called racers "winning" edge or so....

I found that comment interesting because I recall that being taught to me, not a gift. **Yes some natural ability helps.

If you get to the race the day before alot of the tracks have open practice for a limited time before prep. I typically use this time to practice just sections of the track. I may honestly only complete 2 laps but I know within 1 or 2 laps were I blow azz :banana:

I go back and practice sections until I get it down or feel comfortable.

If i can not ride the track before hand I always walk it or sections. Mainly because if you ride enough, you know jumps and distance similar and you can get an "ok" feel when you go out for practice. Also watch the riders in the class higher then you in practice. They will know the lines and pay attention to the engines... you can tell if an A class rider is pinned wide open through a turn to clear a triple out of a corner... go for the double and accept it. Better safe then sorry.