Sign in to follow this  

How much effect does your VO2 Max have on your riding ability?

I just got tested today for my VO2 Max and came out to 70.0 ml/kg/min. The person testing me said its the highest they have ever seen. But I am also on my colleges triathlon team so i'm sure that helps. But how much affect does this actually have on riding ability and endurance? I race hare scrambles and am still trying to figure out why I get so fatigued after a two hour race, and get lapped by guys three times my age that I know are not in as good of shape as I am. I guess I just need to ride more. Any thoughts?

those old guys are more efficient because of wiser technique and pacing and picking fast lines. pacing also involves being smoother on the throttle and not slamming around or into stuff, floating like a butterfly :thumbsup:

Are you very muscular? as you use your muscle its eats up a lot of oxygen sao you may need to fuel your body more when riding. what others have said...more expereince, bodies used to that particular sport.

I am sure there are plenty of those guys that pass you on a dirtbike that would not be able to hold a candle to you in a triathalon. It is what you practice most that your body adapts to the best, at least that is my opinion.

ya I know exactly what both of you guys are saying, if i could ride as much as I trained for triathlons im sure I would be incredible. I have only been riding for about 4 years and I am a fast C rider, but it is obvious that it all comes down to experience.

I had the same question years ago but with different sports ... I was a runner and in pretty good shape but could not bike or swim or play basketball without getting tired ~easily ...

The answer is you are in shape for the tri-athletics core sports and this will translate over to bike riding to some degree, but not 100% ... Being in shape for a specific sport or in your case, 3 sports, does not mean you are in the best shape for other sports ... And bike riding is a very demanding and total body workout sport AND your brain is very much involved also ... More so than the tri-sports you are doing ..

You have a very good base as your MAX VO2 shows, but you will have to increase your seat time to get your bike riding endurance up ...

Plus, as stated here, other aspects come into play such as riding style and such but you gotta add the seat time to become totally fit for bike riding ...

PS -- Being in shape or not being in shape does not make you a fast bike rider. Being in motorcycle riding shape will help you go at your pace for a longer period. Nothing else ... skill and technique are highly required in this sport .... Please remember, fast and 'in-shape' are ambiguous terms at best ... :thumbsup:

Edited by ray_ray