Sign in to follow this  

Locking up the Xr250r

Hey all

I have recently got my xr250r regoed and fully insured. Now how do you guys lock up your bikes if you have to go into a store etc. I mean its a bit of a joke with mine at the moment, i put it on full choke and the it wont start and that's my security.

Otherwise one - three kicks and the bikes started and never seen again.

Any Idea's will be appreciated.

Cheers

Conrad.

You could wire in a manual cutout switch so the engine gets no electrical power. Hide it somewhere on the bike. Or wire in a key switch around the handlebars area.

Store a length of cable and padlock wrapped around your forks or rear subframe and you'll always have it with you.

With a dirt bike there isn't a lot you can do.

-Pop Off Spark Plug Boot*

-Hidden Kill Switch

-Rotor Lock:

-Chain/ cable Lock around wheel and frame.

In reality if anyone really want's your bike it's not that hard to get a couple "buddies" and throw it in the back of a Pick Up. But hey, that's why it's insured right?

*I removed the spark boot once and forgot to put it back on. I remembered AFTER I had started it and rode ~200 yards toward home. :thumbsup: I had unplugged it but let it just drop back over the plug so it was just making contact. It was enough to start the bike and ride away.

A hidden kill switch, maybe near the choke lever so it is easy for you to reach without looking for it.

And probably the most important is to make the bike difficult to roll away; steering locks help on street bikes and rotor locks will disable a dirt bike. I use 4 digit combination padlocks that I put thru the rotors, if anyone want the bike they will need to lift it and carry it away because it won't roll. In my garage I cable lock the frame to the structure.

what about the build in Steering Lock - I thought that was just a standard feature - my 02 XR250R has it....... I hope thats enough......

In my garage I cable lock the frame to the structure.

No Joke, I've seen more CL ads for stolen bikes that say they were taken right out of the garage. :thumbsup:

those rotor locks seem likt the simplest, most convient, and most effective locking device.

what about the build in Steering Lock - I thought that was just a standard feature - my 02 XR250R has it....... I hope thats enough......

I dont have the key for it.

And after speaking to honda, only way to get one is to order a new frame.

Is their a guide to making a kill switch for dirtbikes? That would make me feel heaps better, knowing i have one on the bike.

how does a manual cutout switch work when a bike has not battery?

It works just like the kill switch button. The factory kill switch on the handle bars is normally open, as in it doesn't have an electrical connection until you press it. When pressed it makes a complete circuit to ground, which cuts the ignition and thereby cuts the spark. A hidden switch would do the same thing but you would use an on/off toggle switch. Aftermaket key switches from baja designs or elsewhere work the same way, they ground the ignition when the key is removed. They could wired parallel to the factory kill switch or replace it entirely.

I dont have the key for it.

And after speaking to honda, only way to get one is to order a new frame.

When I bought my bike it did not have the steering lock key. Went to my local Honda dealer and had to buy a new steering lock to get a key. £23, but cheaper than buying a new frame, bit exteme solution to something that just fits on with 2 screws!!:thumbsup:

those rotor locks seem likt the simplest, most convient, and most effective locking device.

Right up till the time you come out in a rush, forgetting you put it on and take off. :thumbsup: