Sign in to follow this  

1981 xr500 timing chain rattle

help!

My timing chain sounds like it's trying to get out of the engine!

I read some posts that mention a couple of bolts or nuts to loosen but after l looked at my engine I'm not at all sure.

What, specifically, do I need to do?

The beast runs great but since there's no stereo, I can't just turn up the volume to cover the noise ;-(

Thanks in avdvance for your help!

On the back side of the cylinder there are two bolt heads one above the other. The top one holds the tensioner in place and the lower one is for adjustment. It's been a long time but if I remember right you simply loosen them while it is at an idle and re tighten them . The tensioner is spring loaded. It's not always necessary to loosen the top one. They are a 10mm wrench size.

On my '81 the cam chain adjuster is spring loaded and self adjusts, if it rattled it would have to be a worn chain or slider pad on the adjuster. When I got it the front balancer retainer plate was broken allowing that chain to go loose and tight, that rattled bad.

As long as you are sure that it is a timing chain rattle, you simply loosen the two 10mm bolts as replied on previous post and then tighten them back up. At one time, before I replaced my timing chain, it seemed to make a difference which nut I tightened back up first. Word of warning, don't loosen the bolts more than necessary.