Sign in to follow this  

Two day Trial Connell,WA

This place is great for family. I make the trip twice a year. If your tired of riding mossy logs and mud. This is a great change! INTA always puts on a great event!:thumbsup:

This place is great for family. I make the trip twice a year. If your tired of riding mossy logs and mud. This is a great change! INTA always puts on a great event!:thumbsup:

Sorry Tom, I don't think I will ever get tired of mossy logs, but that does sound like a fun trial:smirk:

Was just looking at the poster to your event was surprised to see your classes are novice then intermediate, your classes are different to ours, I thought the classes are standardised around the world.

in New Zealand a intermediate is actually a very good rider, just wondering how it works over your way:thumbsup:

I'm afraid the class names are not even standardized around the USA. I'd like to hear what classes y'all run.

I'm afraid the class names are not even standardized around the USA. I'd like to hear what classes y'all run.

Advanced and Sr Advanced can ride the support line at a NATC national and be competitive. (PNTA has many current and former national age group champions)

If you are looking for tough competition, enter SR Intermediate or SR Advanced. You will have all the competition you can handle.

I've been to several of the rounds in Connell and competed once in the novice class and they are a BLAST. Very friendly people and a nice family event (dog friendly too). Plan to stay overnight by camping or at a motel in Connell. Great resturant next to the motel.

For "Normal" club events, not the championship series, the last I heard from PST, the regular classes for up and coming riders are:

Novice

Intermediate

Advanced

Expert

(and sometimes a special Championship line is added to the Expert sections if they know a National rider or two are coming)

Novice and Intermediate riders ride the morning, easier loop ( if regular Observers are used) together with more difficult lines for the Intermediate class.

Advanced and Expert ride a more difficult loop in the afternoon if using regular Observers at the sections. Again, more difficult lines for the Experts.

Then later in the Club history, some of us aging guys that had attained Advanced or Expert status in the past, but not wanting to work that hard anymore came up with another 2 classes. "Senior Intermediate" and "Senior Advanced". Also sometimes called "Senior AM" and "Senior PM" referring to the morning or afternoon loops.

Senior Intermediate riders ride the Intermediate lines along with the regular Intermediates as the Senior Advanced riders ride the Advanced sections.

This way, we can drop back a notch or two and not sandbag against the up and coming riders but still duke it out with other riders in our same situation.

If I'm not mistaken, you have to be 35 years or older to qualify as "Senior" for these classes.

In addition, there is a "Sportsman" class where you can ride any line you want at reduced cost, just to ride with no trophie. That way you can decide what you want at each section without being unfair to people that are competing for awards.

I'm not sure if the Club still adheres to the rule that: "You HAVE to start in the Novice Class unless you can show previous Trials History in a higher class. Or you can petition to ride the Intermediate Class if there is someone available to give you a short riding test".

You acquire transfer points for placing 3rd or higher in an event. 15 ponts moves you to the next class. 5 points for a win 3 for a second place and 1 for a third place finish. This system is for moving from Novice to Intermediate and then again from Intermediate to Advanced.

To become "Expert" rated, you must compete in the Championship series and place in a certain percentile of the riders to acquire Expert Transfer points. I don't remember the break-down for the points there, but it's something like 20 of those points moves you to Expert.... then you get OLD, ( :banana: ) and enter the "Senior" classes :lol:

Oh yes, there is no sandbagging.. if you acquire the transfer points and don't want to move up, you enter the Senior Classes if you are over 35 or you enter as "Sportsman" and ride for no trophie as explained in the previous post.

If a new member comes along with no Trials History and Rides Novice or petitions to ride Intermediate and then proceeds to "BLOW AWAY the Competition... like winning with 3 points or less while second place rider had 25 or more points, then the officials may move him or her up to the next class after the first ride.

If the new rider wins by a smaller margin such as 3 to 5 points, they will figure the rider is in the top of the correct class and will move out anyway in 3 rides or so.

This is to the people that have trials bikes and dont ride events. 2ply information is mostly correct still.

But it is not that formal.

Just show up and a try it. You will find everywhere you turn people will help you with whatever you need and try to make sure you have a good time.

We dont make anyone ride above the fun factor or anything that you dont feel comfortable with.

So just come on out. First one is free! :banana:

Signed

V.P. PST

Edited by Tom2smoker

I think that "do" should be a "dont".

Bottom line - Go - you'll learn alot and have fun.

Thanks Laser

I fixed the "do"

So dont let 2ply scare you off. He has been out of the loop for awhile.

Was just looking at the poster to your event was surprised to see your classes are novice then intermediate, your classes are different to ours, I thought the classes are standardised around the world.

in New Zealand a intermediate is actually a very good rider, just wondering how it works over your way:thumbsup:

So what are the classes in NZ?

Sorry been a bit busy, wife had a baby, :banana:

We have a social class that is not for any championship level, Its pretty easy.. we shove most new comers in that to get a idea of where they are at, they can't get into any trouble. typically they get to ride through a section but avoid all the obstacles.

As you get more accomplished you move to a clubman class which is the easiest class at a champion ship level usually small logs banks and turns.

then you move to intermediate where the obstacles get really more challenging, your riding needs to be quite good to do this, intermediate riders usually have there balance and are just starting to learn to jump the bike around.

then there is A grade and expert grades where by the obstacles are insane however the A grad is just a little bit easier than Expert,

We have a presidents class over here which is inbetween Clubman and intermediate, this is full of riders that have been around a long time are too good for Clubman but they are not as flexible and fit as they used to be and find intermediate too demanding. its quite a popular class.

Classics seem to have a reasonable following over here and they usually follow clubman lines.

We are also starting to run some informal events adopting the Non Stop Rule whereby the sections are more flowing

Congratulations on the new addition!

Your classes seem roughly equivalent to ours.

Your Social= our Novice B (as in Beginner)

Your Clubman= our Novice

Intermediate= Intermediate

A Grade= Advanced

Expert= Expert

We offer a Champ class for National Championship level riders, but it is frequently empty or has only one or two riders.

Some clubs have an" Elite" class that would approximate your Presidents class. We recommend our Novice lines for vintage (twin shock) bikes, but they can actually choose from any of the lower classes since we don't get enough of them for their own class. Our Intermediate lines can be ridden on a late model twin shock bike.

I occasionally ride vintage only events that use non stop rules, but if I were to run non stop rules at a club event, I suspect you would hear the howls and moans all the way to New Zealand.

C'mon over sometime, bring the family!

The Expert class is hard to mark out as only they know what they are capable of. Sometimes we don't cater for them, they can hop arround the intermediate or clubman lines on there back wheel or something like that, the advantage of this is they spend time with the beginners and novice riders and give valuble tips on the Job,

I havn't been around that long but the classics class seems to be strong every event I turn up to there is a show of classics. Here some of the riders are very good and will get around all day and loose no or very few points, Classics is good because you can buy an old bike in reasonable working order for under $1000

and then gives you a project, I find the classic guys a bit of a laugh, to me many seem to be over zealous

We find the nonstop rules very popular amongst new members, because the vast majority of people that would be interested in the sport don't join because all the balance stuff looks to difficult and most new members can't do it but they enjoy the challange of the natural terain obstacles, my understanding is that the international trials body would like to push Non Stop rules as they believe this is the best way to grow the sport, however i understand some of the elite riders on the pro circuit are dead against it. I don't care either way I support both.

I will come oversome time, the time is not quite right but maybe in 18 mths.

:banana:

Edited by Jono mud slogger

It's very important, and challenging, for a Trials marshal to ensure that there are progressive, even steps between the classes. That way the riders can move up the ladder as their skills progress. If there is too big a gap between adjacent classes it can form a bottleneck as riders are reluctant to move to the next higher class. Also, older riders eventually have to consider moving down a class. If the gap is too large to the next class down they may stay in the higher class, possibly resulting in injury, or loose interest in the sport if they must choose between riding above their ability or riding lines that are not challenging enough.