Sign in to follow this  

Tuning a 150R down some?

I'm wondering if anybody has ever DE-tuned a 150R at all. I'd be interested in dropping about 20% of it's power for greater reliability/longevity, and to make it a better ride to run on pit bike tracks.

We've been talking about converting a 150R chassis to accept a 150F motor, then building up the 150F motor... Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, and less of a hassle to tone down the motor that comes in it, and just race the bike like that in the pit bike races? --L*64

What you really need is a CR/XR conversion. I have one with a 140cc stroke XR motor in it and on pit bike tracks I'm faster on it than my CRF150RB. Even on bigger tracks I'm not a whole lot faster on the CRF. You can get a used conversion starting at about $2000. Checkout my website www.socalxrs.com It has a bunch of pictures and whatnot on them. I was thing about doing what you're doing, but I like the power of it, but for tight pit bike tracks it's not nearly as fun as my conversion. The CRF150F motor can be built up to a pretty big motor, but it's about 25 pounds heavier than an XR motor. That excess weight make you push in turns and hitting a inside rut is next to impossible. Plus jumping it is sketchy with that extra weight. I had a CR/XR200 conversion (the motors weigh the same) and it is a great wide open bike or even trail riding but the handling characteristics weren't that great for motocross.

Edited by socalxr