Sign in to follow this  

Another jumping question, beginner.

I'm a fairly young guy, 19. I'm pretty much a trail rider, for the longest time I've been trying to get into motocross and now I finally got my bike.

This upcoming week I'll be going to Hardrock MX Cycle Park, the first motocross track I've ever been to. I've looked online and tried to find articles but I've been finding an inconsistency in technique.

So I'm wondering, what is the jumping technique I should be using? How do I jump? How do I take off?

Also, what speeds or in what gears should I be for what length of table tops? Or is it subjective?

My best advice would be to start on the 'outback' track in the back. If I remember correctly the track has some small table tops and doubles. Start out on the small table tops as these are the most forgiving. Start hitting them at low speeds and slowly work your way up. Keep a steady throttle on the face of the jump, chopping the throttle on the face will make your front end drop, wide open will send the front tire high. You want to be off the seat and be somewhat centered on the bike. Also, you want to hit the jumps straight on. Working your way up slowly is the best way, as you need to learn the basics before hitting big jumps and risking big injuries. If you find someone riding the track who seems like a good jumper, ask them to watch you jump, as they can probably offer better feedback than a forum can.

He is right about the outback track. Do not even ride on the track in the front with the water tower jump. Biggest advice I would give you is to make sure you jump standing up. Do not try to sit down over the jumps or you will endo. Also, it is good to follow a more experienced rider over a jump so you can guage your correct spped. Over time you will learn to guage your own speed.

Start small is the key. I made the mistake of never really getting comfortable jumping. I kept going bigger and bigger, but it was never something that felt natural. I have been riding for about 5 years, have jumped 70 footers, but was always really nervous, and still would be. Back to the basics for me.

your body position should have you being able to see your front number plate if you look straight down.

Just a couple of things to think about, I am a tall rider also and when I first started out a lot of the things people were telling me to do just didnt feel natural to me. Getting off the seat was a big challenge because i could not stand up comfotably without a lot of bend at the knees and waist. I was riding a full size 450 and somtimes felt like it was a mini! I don't know how tall you are but don't get discouraged if things feel strange at first, it takes time getting used to how your body needs to adjust on the bike and being tall just magnifies every motion. The biggest thing is just try to get a feel for what the bike wants to do and what you need to do to make the bike do what you want it to. Like was posted before the outback track is great for learning jumps, also try the roller coaster track there a a couple small jumps that are really forgiving out there to. And remember to have fun thats what this is all about and you'd be suprised how many people forget that.

Edited by gparrow

As stated..don't chop the throttle until over the jump or expect a nose dive .... many first jumpers do this throttle chop and end up scaring themselves ...

The bikes will take care of themselves in the air if you do the basic stuff on approach and take-off ... These are very good ideas on how to start jump written in this thread so far... Just start slow and build up speed with each jump attempt ...

Please dont look down at your number plate while you are in the air.

The guys are correct, you want to be slightly forward in the attack position. Its all about balance.

Put your bike on a stand and place it to where the bike is perfectly balanced.Make sure it is high enough off the ground where both tires are at least 2 inches of the ground. Mount the bike and get a feel for the balancing point. If you are tall this might require more bend at the knees, your backside further back and your chin over the bars.

When you go to the track approach small jumps and remember where your balancing point is and take note of how the bike handles when you are forward of center and behind the centerline of balance. Do this with steady or slightly increasing throttle only.

Work on being loose in the air and work on pushing and pulling the handlebars in the air so you can develope the metal tools to correct the front to back attitude of the bike.

Start slowly and methodically to build up your own bag of tricks/skills for jumping.

Take mental note of how long face jumps and short faced jumps affect the bike.

One more thing, you will find steeper jumps can require a more forward position when hitting the face of the jump. Also short jumps will need throttle accuracy and a slight blip to properly load the suspension and launch the bike with a good attitude.

Start slow, be safe and good luck.

• Like 1

Gas on hard on take off equals nose high, decel on take off equals nose low. Work on a steady gas through the jump and into the landing and it will fly fine. Don't be hitting the gas hard or engine braking on a jump until you can control your self in the air. You need to learn to fly it soon. Clutch in, rear brake will bring your nose down (must pull clutch!!), hard throttle in the air will bring the nose back up, really easy on a 450 four stroke. Start small and build up, you will fine.

The outback track is a good track for beginners - a little hard and unforgiving if you do lay the bike down. Just take it slow and easy - I typically do a sight lap to get the lay of the land even if I've ridden the track before. Also - you don't want to start jumping too much until you've got your bike properly setup - be sure to talk with someone about setting the "clickers" and SAG...

Also - you might need to adjust some things on the bike for your height - like the bars and seat - I'm tall and ride with the Renthal RC "high" bend - gives me a little more room in the cockpit...

i wish i could jump good, i am OK, i wish i has my own little mx track then i would be better