Sign in to follow this  

14/48 on a 06 with ccc mods?

I just got this bike, it has a 14/48 set up with all the ccc mods. I do not need this kinda top end. would a 14/51 set up be more all around?

IMO, a 51 rear is big.

you could drop to a 13 front and it would be close to the same.

13/48 = 3.69

14/51 = 3.64

So what I'm understanding is that the 250x stock is 14/53, and most guys change out both to a 13/51 which is stock for a 250r? The 14/48 that is on the bike now just does not have the torque I like for trails. I think I am going to change out the back and put a 51 on to see how that works.

I run a 14/50 and that combo works great for me. I have several engine mods, but the first gear is so short anyways that unless you are going wide open all the time, I don't understand why they geared it that way...I 'd replace the back sprocket to a 50 tooth and that should be good and not terribly expensive.

I'm in Pa tight rocky rooty with mountains to clime i couldn't imagine gearing my bike so high 14/50 i went from 13/51 back to stock 14/53 I'm hoping that's not to high but we all ride in different places that what's so cool

stock is 14/53 a lot of guys run 13/51

I dropped a tooth in the front a while back and never looked back... run 13/53 here... clear more jumps at the track due to the gears being packed closer together but still got that top end speed for the trails... while not sacrificing the slow speed crawling (that actually got better)

13/53 is only 7.1% off the top end so your looking at going 80mph instead of 85... but your gaining 7.1% EVERYWHERE else... its totally worth it IMO.

Oh and this is on my 250x with an 06 R cam, pink wire, opened airbox and rejetted.... so really the pink wire made the difference up.

That's way to wide. i would suggest running the stock set up at 14/53 or swap it out for a 13/51.

Has anyone tried the 14/51 on a 06 crf250x?

I have an 05. I am running 13/53. In the Harescrambles I race in we have some open farm corn and bean fields, so kinda soft and rough, I've never got over 65 or 68 mph, just not enough power. It takes me awhile to get up to those speeds. I weigh 185 lbs.

With this gearing I can run the woods all day in 2nd and 3rd through the tight stuff and don't have to shift across Nuetral. 1st is really low if the trail gets really narly, but its so low the engine braking is exagerated, so not useful very long. but in a race I haven't run out of top end either. But on the few road transfer sections it screaming out some rpms.

But with that said, I forgot I have the 19 inch tire on the back which has a larger diameter than the 18 I took off. I think if you used a 13/51 you would get the same results as I talked about here.

I just put on an 06 R head with SS valves and bought a Stage 2 hot cam to go with it. Can't wait for it to get here and for the snow to go away so I can try it out!! This should help with the acceleration time and top speeds in the open area! : )