Sign in to follow this  

Age of Sherco??

Hi Guys,

Have a chance to swap my Husaberg 501 for a sherco 290,

engine number SH290016386

couple of Q's..

1) will it be hard to start? I have a broken ACL in my right leg (hence the Huzzie)

2) IS a 290 too much for a raw beginner and his 13 year old boy?

3) Is this actually a 290 (not a 250) and is it actually a 2006 bike?

Thanks for any assistance!

cheers

james

Hi....and welcome!

Hi Guys,

1) will it be hard to start? I have a broken ACL in my right leg (hence the Huzzie)

Sorry about your knee. I can really sympathize since I am almost 1 year post knee reconstruction. Your ACL really shouldnt affect starting it since the ACL is a stabilizing ligament...but if your knee is sore from lack of stability then it may be tough. I had an 06 2.9 and I could start it with my bad knee.

2) IS a 290 too much for a raw beginner and his 13 year old boy?If your experienced riders you may be ok. The 06 can be a handful. Really powerful motor and a grabby clutch can really get you into trouble. Theres ways to slow it down though and make it more friendly. Thats one heck of a motor in that bike.

3) Is this actually a 290 (not a 250) and is it actually a 2006 bike?The 06's had Black Frames with forged aluminum triple clamps and handlebars with a cross bar, 7/8's. The follwoing years went with fatbars and billet tripple clamps. Cant help you with the size of the motor.

i start my bike like jim snell does in the video.

i start my bike like jim snell does in the video.

umm who's jim snell and where could his video be found?

Hi....and welcome!

What are the ways of making it more friendly? more head gaskets?

what about the clutch issue you mention?

cheers

james

What are the ways of making it more friendly? more head gaskets?

what about the clutch issue you mention?

cheers

james

-add a gasket

-retard the timing a few degrees

-put a slow throttle on it

-drop a tooth in the front

-put an o-ring chain on.

The o-ring chain will fit on the 06 Sherco but it will wear the chain block and plate faster.

If I were to do any of these things I would just put a slow throttle on and a smaller front sprocket. Maybe do the timing.

The clutch in the Sherco is fine, it's a little grabby, but it sticks if it sits too long. A simple fix is to put a rubber band around the bar keeping the clutch lever in while in storage.

or just ride it and get used to it the old school way:thumbsup:

-add a gasket

-retard the timing a few degrees

-put a slow throttle on it

-drop a tooth in the front

-put an o-ring chain on.

The o-ring chain will fit on the 06 Sherco but it will wear the chain block and plate faster.

If I were to do any of these things I would just put a slow throttle on and a smaller front sprocket. Maybe do the timing.

The clutch in the Sherco is fine, it's a little grabby, but it sticks if it sits too long. A simple fix is to put a rubber band around the bar keeping the clutch lever in while in storage.