Sign in to follow this  

Pimp my bed

... my TRUCK bed, that is ... :thumbsup:

I just got what is basically my first truck - F350 crew cab long bed - and I'm trying to figure out how to get it setup to haul the bikes. I'm playing with getting a trailer eventually, but want to work out various trailer-less scenarios first.

I want to be able to handle 1, 2, or 3 dirt bikes (or trials bikes), or our two big GSers on occasion. The bed currently has the 4 corner tie ins, right at floor level, and two tie-ins just off dead center, around the 5th wheel mount point - so out of the box I can really only do 1 bike easily.

What are folks' favorite ways of adding tie-in points, chocks, whatever to enable carrying 3? I'm thinking about adding two tie-ins along the front wall of the bed, at roughly 1/3 and 2/3 of the way across, so there'd be 4 equidistant points. Then the leftmost bike uses points 1 and 3, center bike uses 2 and 3, and right bike uses 2 and 4, with the center moved back maybe a foot or so to make sure the bars and straps clear the other bikes. I'm really not sure if this will work though, or if there is a tie-in "kit" that would work better than another, or just do a hardware store run, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated - and pics, if you got 'em!

I saw the Bed Buddy, I didn't quite understand how well they'd work as the hook point means the straps aren't really in line wth the forks as much as a conventional low point. Is that a problem? Does anyone use the BB for carrying 3 bikes, with that little center extender thingy?

It will stiffen your bed and won't let it bend. My buddy has a Titan and we put 3 bikes, using the extender in the middle, on a road trip from Phoenix to San Luis Obispo (cali), about 11hr drive..the bikes did not move an inch!! They also come in different sizes based on your truck...I got one on my Tac and i'm loving it.

calitrip2.jpg

calitrip.jpg

Hope this helps!

Interesting ... how high up on the front bed wall do you mount the Bed Buddy - does it somehow bolt onto the "rim" piece where it's not just a single width of metal? Or do you have to mount it lower than that. Do you have any pics of the actual BB itself in position? And how long is the central extender? Ideally I'd love it if the 3 bikes all fit within the 8' bed with the tailgate closed, so if the offset if around 12" or less than I think that'll work.

Awesome - great pics, thanks.

I have a drop-in bed liner so things are going to be a bit more interesting ... might be time to get the spray-on instead, I bet. Dang, I had hoped to delay that for a bit.

Also - is it easy to attach and detach the central extender for the middle bike? I don't have to do anything horrible like take the whole bar off, yes?

Youw ill have to unbolt everything, put the spray on bed, roll up the windows :ride:

you won't have to do anything at all..you can just place the extender in the middle and voila!! some people use a wood block.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Awesome - great pics, thanks.

I have a drop-in bed liner so things are going to be a bit more interesting ... might be time to get the spray-on instead, I bet. Dang, I had hoped to delay that for a bit.

Ditch the rubbermaid bed liner....all they are is a trap for sand, grit and moisture, then the bed liner vibrates just a smidgen with that grit inbetween it and the metal, and the paint is gone, and rust begins.