Sign in to follow this  

enclosed trailer questions

I am thinking about upgrading from my 5x8 enclosed to something much bigger, I do not have near enough room in it. I am looking into 16-20 ft trailers, my question is what are the weights of trailers that big? and how much of a pain is it to tow and live with a trailer that big? if it is a huge pain I will just go with a 14' v-nose. I also what to make sure it doesnt weight too much to tow with my 08 Nissan Titan.

I am thinking about upgrading from my 5x8 enclosed to something much bigger, I do not have near enough room in it. I am looking into 16-20 ft trailers, my question is what are the weights of trailers that big? and how much of a pain is it to tow and live with a trailer that big? if it is a huge pain I will just go with a 14' v-nose. I also what to make sure it doesnt weight too much to tow with my 08 Nissan Titan.

I myself would go with a 20+ footer, even if you don't need it. Buy bigger than you need (if you can afford it), if you've got some friends that wanna come to the races or if you get a UTV or w/e. Depends on the axles you have and how much you have in the trailer, a 20 ft trailer can weigh 14,000 lbs fully loaded with 7k axles. However with just a few dirtbikes, powerwasher, full water tank, coolers, gear, etc. it wont weigh that.

I don't really know what you're hauling so I cant say how your truck will handle it. With the trailer (20 ft w/ 7k axles) empty, your truck will pull with ease but once you load it up with a lot of stuff it may not handle it well. My recommendation of course is a duramax. Any 3/4 ton (that's not old as hell) will be able to handle it. A 3/4 ton gasser may not be a fun ride with 14000 lbs but it'll do the job.

Edit: you will want a distribution hitch w/ anti sway bars. They're expensive but you'll thank yourself for getting it.

Im gonna be hauling a quad and 2 bikes and towing with my titan, I was afraid a 20ft would be just "too much" to use good, but I want something big enough to be able to use as kind of a mobile garage also. I was wondering about the WD hitch and sway control and at what size trailer I need to start using them.

If you want a mobile garage and be able to haul the bikes and quad, go with a 20 footer. It's not really the size of the trailers you should have a WD hitch it's the weight, prevents sag and distributes the weight throughout the truck (hence the name, lol). If I'm haulin a 14 ft dump trailer fully loaded with rock for my business, I use my d-hitch, can way 12,000+ lbs so I run the hitch to level out the truck when it's pullin it.

My 16x7 haulmark tandem axle weighed around 2200 lbs empty.

With 6 bikes, gear, tools, and fuel, it came out to around 4800 lbs, yet I could easily tow it with my 1/2 ton gen1 Tundra p/up , but I needed a weight distribution hitch. With only 3-4 bikes, I didn't need a WDH.

The trailer had tandem axles+e brakes... it was one of the easiest trailers I've ever had that I could back up so effortlessly. I towed that 16'er like nothing was back there.

Come to think of it, when I loaned my trailer to a good friend last summer, He loaded 2 quads & 3 dirt bikes plus all the gear and clothes and food for a family of 5 for a full week's vacation. He towed it w/ an '05 Suburban SUV.

In retrospect, a 16' should be all you really need, imo :thumbsup:

a 16' should be all you really need

No one needs dirt bikes or an enclosed trailer at all either with that mentality. You buy whatever size you want because you want to not because you need to. If the guy buys a 16 footer and then decides he wants to a UTV (kubota, ranger, rhino, etc) he wont have room because hes already got 2 bikes, a quad, and gear and whatever else.

Buy more than you currently need, you will thank yourself later.

My buddy traded up from an 8x16 to an 8.5x24 V-nose. He is seriously kicking himself. He really wanted a 8.5x20, but kind of had that bigger is better mentality. Now that he has it, he wants to trade it, its just to much trailer for him, parking it sucks, it tows kinda difficul, and now his mpg is sheet.

I bought an 8x14 cause thats what I wanted.

What is he pulling it with? A long trailer is really not that hard to drive with either. But that is one thing you have to take into consideration, parking it & storing it and whatnot.

No one needs dirt bikes or an enclosed trailer at all either with that mentality. You buy whatever size you want because you want to not because you need to. If the guy buys a 16 footer and then decides he wants to a UTV (kubota, ranger, rhino, etc) he wont have room because hes already got 2 bikes, a quad, and gear and whatever else.

Buy more than you currently need, you will thank yourself later.

18 yrs old & talking it up... :thumbsup::lol::ride::lol:

Tundra owner...talking it up. Go back to the tundra forum. Let me guess, you think your "big" 5.7 gasser can outrun a dmax and/or pull a 40 ft 5th wheel toy hauler. Talk about a joke of a truck, every tundra owner is a yuppie.

I'm talking it up from experience, I purchased a 30 ft enclosed for my business, it is the perfect size for what I do. Before you say my parents bought it, no they did not, I started building my landscape contracting business plan during the early years of high school and finished it last year and got a business loan from my credit union last winter.

7X16 tandem axle enclosed is 2200 lbs.

yeah 2200 is nothing really......Im just afraid I will be bummed with a 16, I dont have a garage, so I was going to put a rooftop A/C and generator and some interior lighting and use it as a workshop some also, and Im afraid a 16 just wont be enough and anything over 20 will be just too much to tow and park and go through town with and stuff.

yeah 2200 is nothing really......Im just afraid I will be bummed with a 16, I dont have a garage, so I was going to put a rooftop A/C and generator and some interior lighting and use it as a workshop some also, and Im afraid a 16 just wont be enough and anything over 20 will be just too much to tow and park and go through town with and stuff.

When you start adding all that (AC, genset, insulation, paneling, lights, etc) then toss in your cargo (bikes, ATV, gear, tools), you may be asking your Titan more than it will appreciate with a 20 ft trailer.

Don't forget that the V-nose is + footage, most every manufacturer's 20' V-nose trailers are 20 of full width floor space, then the additional V-nose area.

I have a 5x10 V-nose that I get 4 big bikes in, plus tools and gear.

I was also looking at the wider 16-18ft V-noses, but I was also going to be keeping the extras down in the trailer to keep the weight down, like keeping the insulation and paneling as light as possible, keeping the tools and cabinets down to a managable level and keeping the lighting simple with a few florescent fixtures, and I dont think a 3k generator weighs too much does it?

I have a 7X16, I have lighting, stereo, heater, inverter, converter, roof mounted AC. Good size for hauling bikes. Get them in multiples of 8 feet, ie 8, 16, 24 etc. Bikes are roughly 8 feet long.

with a 16-20 ft I assume I need to have sway control and a WD hitch? Im planning on getting the prodigy brake controller, they make a plug and play setup for my truck.

I have a 7X16, I have lighting, stereo, heater, inverter, converter, roof mounted AC. Good size for hauling bikes. Get them in multiples of 8 feet, ie 8, 16, 24 etc. Bikes are roughly 8 feet long.

Bikes are 8ft long? What are you doing, hillclimb? The biggest bikes, 450s...RMZ: 7.18 ft, Yami: 7.19 ft, Honda doesnt have their dimensions, kawi: 7.17 ft, dont feel like looking up ktm, but bikes are not 8ft long, not even close.

Bikes are 8ft long? What are you doing, hillclimb? The biggest bikes, 450s...RMZ: 7.18 ft, Yami: 7.19 ft, Honda doesnt have their dimensions, kawi: 7.17 ft, dont feel like looking up ktm, but bikes are not 8ft long, not even close.

i think he was just saying bikes are 8ft long as a round number. they dont make 20.10 ft trailers do they? it was just basic math and refering the size of trailers to bikes:bonk::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Trailers are 'sized' by exterior measurements. You don't get a full 20' interior space in a 20' trailer, you usually lose between 3-6" off that. Then add in the space consumed by things like tire chocks, and 8' becomes a realistic planning figure.

• Like 1