Sign in to follow this  

engine comparison by years

could someone point me to the info if this has been covered, I did a search but i could not find it.

Im looking for what year engine have the same bolt pattern into the frame and also if someone has the hp and torque numbers and carb difference and now efi by year that would be great. I think it would be a good post for info for used bike shoppers.

Im looking for an engine for a hybrid quad so Im trying to balance best engine for the price,

First a disclaimer - This is all as far as I know, it isn't gospel.

The '02-'03 engines have a front engine mount that is 71mm wide and a 13mm spacer on the lower mount.

The '05-up engines have a 91mm front engine mount and a lower engine mount that is 13mm wider than the earlier engines and do not use a spacer.

The total width of the lower mount is about 103mm.

I'm not sure what width the '04 engine mounts are. I believe the bolt pattern is the same over all years.

So, if you pattern the mounts after a '05-up engine, an '02-'03 engine will fit with spacers.

Hope this helps.

What about performance?

Ive been told 05-08 is the way to go on performance and to be honest the prices for the engines do not vary near like you would think so if I go this way i dont want to start out with a lesser engine

What about performance?

Ive been told 05-08 is the way to go on performance and to be honest the prices for the engines do not vary near like you would think so if I go this way i dont want to start out with a lesser engine

First a disclaimer - This is all as far as I know, it isn't gospel.

I read somewhere that out of the 05-08 range, the 05s were the strongest overall HP, theyve toned them down each year since.

and someone here posted about the cams "an 02 R cam is about the same as a HC stage 2. only a little more top. the 03 R cam is a little bit easier, but overall, the same"

I know its not much info, and it might be all wrong, but at least I tried...