Sign in to follow this  

plastics

hi i read a article on thumpertalk about removing sctaches from plastics

all you do is get 100 grit to 1000 grit and sand all the scratches and then go over with a heat gun to smooth the surface, anyone done this

also i am considering getting new UFO plastics for my 01 yz 250f

question is are these the same shape as stock otherwise i would have a hard time finding graphics for the bike

so will stock yamaha graphics and other brand grahics fit on the UFO plastics

I can vouch for the heat gun and say it really really works. I only had 220 grit sand paper so I used that to get the deep scratches out and went over it with a heat gun. It worked like magic. I can only imagine how smooth and shiny it would look with 1000 grit.

they are about 10 bucks if you have a harbor frieght around you.

Just bought one last night for $9.99!

will the heat gun help make it shiny? I tried to sand my plastics to make them shiny again, i did 220, 400, 800, 1000, then 2000 all wet. And then used some plastic polish but it is still really dull. I cant figure out how to get them shiny.

i am curios as to how nice of a finish you can get with that process? I am getting a bike ready to sell and may give it a try. Anyone have before and after pics?

Yeah id like to know that too, every time ive sanded i get the scratches out but they look like shit after because they have no shine. Than i use something to give them shine but that only lasts a couple days than its crap again

will the heat gun help make it shiny? I tried to sand my plastics to make them shiny again, i did 220, 400, 800, 1000, then 2000 all wet. And then used some plastic polish but it is still really dull. I cant figure out how to get them shiny.

i did the same thing with black plastics.

****in ruined em.

i went to call the company but i guess there not around anymore.

I ened up rattle cannin my shrouds :thumbsup:

when did this thread come back!

i tried the heatgun thing and it made them like crap so i didnt do the rest of the plastics

you have to be careful with the heat gun, I have used one many many times and have not ruined anything yet.

stick the gun on a low setting and dont stay in one spot for too long, move quickly.

Clear acrylic laquer spray will work for a time as well (after sanding out the scratches).

But really beat-up plastic can simply be replaced. It's pretty cheap. We put all new plastic on a brand new bike and it was about $100.

the heat trick works great. the key thing is to always be moving the gun, and dont work the same piece for to long if you do the plastic will start to sag ... (i personalty just use a little hand held propane torch)

to get the shine back just go and get some mop glow (stuff you use for your kitchen floor ) this will get the shine back. ive never done the sanding but i image it should be able to make the plastic look practical brand new.