Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

(XR/CRF 100) Kitaco head vs. Engines Only stock ported/polished head

I have a chance to get a Kitaco for $535 + 61 shipping, or have Frank Nye at Engines only do a port/polish job on my stock head for $250 + shipping. The valves on the Kitaco head intake: 28mm, exhaust: 23mm; stock head intake: 24mm, exhaust: 20.5mm. I remember seeing something somewhere on the web that you could actually get too much flow with the KItaco head. Anyone an opinion good or bad, which way to go, Gman or Socalxr? I have 55mm Wisesco piston, Kitaco 56.5 stoker crank, 200x carb, shaved flywheel, Kitaco hi-output oil pump, Megacyles cam, Kitaco speed reducing clutch, Big Gun exhaust, plus other parts I am comptemplating getting...:thumbsup: Thanks for any help.

I don't have personal experience with either of your options (EO-Kitaco yet lol) However, if you quest is for peak hp numbers-there is no question about it a Big valve head is the way to go. As we know its no secret the stock head/valve size is holding these lil engines back for make big hp #'s

I know- I- mention this time and time again...-but-My big concern is compression ratio with adding a big valve head on to a typical big bore kit. IMHO it would be a little counter productive to throw a SuperHead on and have a low 8:1ish CR. Your 11.5 stroker crank will help the cr a little..

I guess it'll come down to what your after, and the bikes primary use, and is it possible to address the compression ratio. And if your restricted to a CC's for racing classification?

BTW I was quoted about the same for just the SE Kitaco head... And quoted $582 for the 115SE kit... Go fig'r..

So what you are saying if I stay with a smaller bore, use the stock head to keep a good CR. I wonder what the CR would be with a 58mm BBK Wiseco piston (12:1 CR), and the Kitaco head, just trying to find a happy medium and not break any kickstarter parts:lol:. I wonder what the CR of the Kitaco 145SE is???

The kitaco head is better than anything you can do to a stock head. The only thing it falls short on is reliability.

So what you are saying if I stay with a smaller bore, use the stock head to keep a good CR. I wonder what the CR would be with a 58mm BBK Wiseco piston (12:1 CR), and the Kitaco head, just trying to find a happy medium and not break any kickstarter parts:lol:. I wonder what the CR of the Kitaco 145SE is???

The different between stock heads combustion chamber and a SuperHead is 3cc. It's killing the CR http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867248&highlight=bbr+takegawa

I'm running about 13.5:1 and haven't had any kickstart failures.

Quick shot of how large the Tak's combustion chamber is. The Kitaco most likely very simalur, if not the same.

Takegawa SuperHead left---Stock 100 right

2009_06010005.jpg