Best Enduro??

I'm looking into getting a enduro bike and just wanted to get some opinions on whats best to go for.

I've been riding bikes on and off for about 6 years. I've had an SX125, CR125 then decided to give trials a go and got a Gas Gas 250 but quickly decided it wasn't for me. I've also had a couple trail bikes inbetween all of this. I've never competed just ridden for fun. But having had a year off riding I want to get back into it. I recently rode a friends 2000 xr400 which I loved but I found the suspension too soft for any reasonable sized jump and the power delivery was a bit flat when I wanted it (It was completly standard and set up for road use), I also rode a CR250r which although was really really fun it just reminded me that I'm not a fan of 2stokes and motocross bikes are fast! So I'm looking for something inbetween the two, Power when needed but low end torque for chugging around and comfort but built to take some abuse. I've been looking at WRs but don't know much about them. What kind of improvements can me made to the XRs???

Oh and as for my size, I'm 6ft 4' and 14stone (195cm/200lbs approx)

Any help appreciated!

at your height the husky's are nice

I own a xr 400, they can be made pretty fast, pumper carb, 440 kit, and setup the suspension for your weight & riding type. Mine rides like a caddy on the trails, does not wear me out, but it does not turn anything like a more race oriented bike, it's a laid back bike. Mine pulls strong now, but there's no hiding it's older design and heavy weight

the wr 450 is a good bike strong, powerful and relatively maintenance free.

i would get any european brand,

maybe a ktm exc 400, husaberg fe 390, husky te 310 or if u wanted to go really exotix maybe a beta or a gasgas

Thanks for the replies.

The husky TE 310 looks like the ideal thing for me but maybe a bit out of my price range and second hand models here in the UK don't seem that common.

Which is why I mentioned the Yamaha WR because theres plenty of them here and there not too expensive. But without riding one I don't know what it would be like in comparison with what I've previously ridden.

What is the actual difference between a motocross and an enduro bike? The way I see it is that an enduro bike is not such high performance with softer ride than a Motox. And also how do you draw the line between a trail bike and an enduro bike?

modern trail bikes are high performance, but they have a softer hit, different cams or engine timing. Suspension is valved softer, sometimes different hardware too

most people mod WR's to the YZ timing and cam

Ok thanks. Well given my budget is around about $3k which Enduro would anyone recommend? Also what is the power like in comparison with an equivalant cc motox bike? Thanks

most are tuned for smoother power, but about the same peak

for 3k I would look at ktm 200/250/300 xc-w's I'm the same weight as you and a 200 fits me best, but I'm a lot shorter than you

an enduro 2 stroke is nothing like a MX two stroke, the power delivery is completely different

2010 rmx450z

I dont ever want to ride a 450 in the woods again, but Josh Strang sure was fast on his suzuki yesterday. I think it may have been the only suzuki I saw all day, it was mostly orange, followed by green, then blue, then husqvarna/husaberg so many ktm's, and I was really surprised how popular the kawasaki's were

804834476_RkRfx-L.jpg

804837180_JZBU5-L.jpg