Sign in to follow this  

contour HD 720p vs 1080p models

anyone know if there's any difference in the clarity ie bitrate/compression between the older 720p model and the newer 1080p model?

I'm not really interested in the increase in resolution, only in the compression and bitrate changes, if there is any difference. I get some pixelation and I've have it set to high bitrate, and a sharpness of 5 with center metering

I'm not sure if they chagned the bitrate or compression settings between the models

find one that YOU like the picture in a similar light setting as your home...and you'll be happy. Numbers are just that, numbers.

my $.02

find one that YOU like the picture in a similar light setting as your home...and you'll be happy. Numbers are just that, numbers.

my $.02

uhh, thanks I guess?

I already own one, I am just trying to decide if the upgrade will improve picture clarity, I'm definitely not spending 330 $ unless they changed the compression algorithms or bitrate options

I dont care about the 720 vs 1080 resolution

It will only improve if you have the other hardware to push the 1080p. (blue ray, HD cable/satellite, etc...)

Your picture quality is only as good as your weakest link.

It will only improve if you have the other hardware to push the 1080p. (blue ray, HD cable/satellite, etc...)

Your picture quality is only as good as your weakest link.

maybe I'm not being clear, I do not need advice on displays or computers or anything else

all I care about, is if the compression algorithm and settings are different between the two contour hd models, the 720p and the 1080p versions

This is what I have my 720p set to

FW version:V1.33

BR: H

EV: 1

SHRP: 5

AE: C

CTST: 56

MIC: 34

IF and only if the 1080p has a higher bitrate option that does less compression, I will buy one

so, does anyone know specifically if there is any change in the encoding compression between the two models ?

you need a new tv :thumbsup:

sorry, I really do not know the answer to your question, the website doesn't list the specs?

you need a new tv :thumbsup:

sorry, I really do not know the answer to your question, the website doesn't list the specs?

it does not list it, I'm not using a tv for this video, this is going into adobe premiere and I want to have a little better input quality, closer to my lipstick camera, that records in raw DV format (no compression)

On the 1080

1080p = 1920x1080 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate

720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate

The 720

720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate

Both are saved as: H.264 compression (.mov) files

yeah that's the camera

h.264 on both, the 720p has all the same settings via software now, you can change the data rate and sharpness on both via software (originally you could not)

looks like I dont gain anything with the 1080p other than resolution, which I dont need anyway

On the 1080

1080p = 1920x1080 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate

The 720

720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate

Read that again.

Read that again.

you can change the bitrate on the 720p now, it was added around December

you can change the bitrate on the 720p now, it was added around December

Change it to what?

Change it to what?

both the 1080p and the older 720p have the same options as far as I can tell for bitrate

low, medium, and high

I think I'm stuck with lipstick cameras if I want better input images with less compression

Curious, what do you gain with less compression? I'd be and am more concerned with the wind noise and how to eliminate it without having to hack into the camera.

I dont have any wind noise problems with mine, but I'm riding single track, and we rarely ever get out of 3rd gear

less compression means sharper image details, and less artifacts from the compression

I'm not really interested in the increase in resolution, only in the compression and bitrate changes, if there is any difference. I get some pixelation and I've have it set to high bitrate, and a sharpness of 5 with center metering

Why aren't you interested in resolution, a higher resolution means a better picture quality:

720p = 1280x720 = 921,600 Pixels per image

1080p = 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 Pixels per image

= 225% increase in resolution detail.

If it gets pixelated because of fast motion, record it at 720p & 60fps.

How sure are you that your 720p 30fps records at 15 Mbps?

less compression means sharper image details, and less artifacts from the compression

Yes, but at the sacrifice of memory space and having equipment to decode it.

Why aren't you interested in resolution, a higher resolution means a better picture quality:

720p = 1280x720 = 921,600 Pixels per image

1080p = 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 Pixels per image

= 225% increase in resolution detail.

If it gets pixelated because of fast motion, record it at 720p & 60fps.

How sure are you that your 720p 30fps records at 15 Mbps?

I dont need the extra resolution, I only edit/watch on my pc, and 1280x720 is more than large enough, even with my 1080p cameras I end up setting them to 720p

the pixelation/softness is not from motion, it's most evident when there is no motion, the mbps rates came from the vholdr forum from other users

I have never found a post from a vholdr employee confirming exactly what the bitrate is on the model 1300 at 720p/30fps vs the model 1200 at 720p/30fps both on high

I'm not using a tv for this video, this is going into adobe premiere

What settings do you use when you export (save) the video?

Edited by JamesG1019

What settings do you use when you export (save) the video?

raw, I use the raw mov file, I clip it in easy edit so I dont have to deal with recompressing anything

for quick work I use imovie