Sign in to follow this  

Drilling the slide

I looked all over for a #39 drill bit to drill the slide. I finally found one that was 4 1/2 inchs to make it all the way through the slide. Openen it up and was sickened to find my slide was plastic and not brass like the ones I see in alot pictures I saw on this site. Is piece of crap worth drilling?

I just looked at Jesse's website. I think the brass look is just an artifact of the picture. The slide is plastic. I am guessing the 4 1/2" is to do it w/o removing the slide?? It was a LONG time ago but I think I pulled it apart and used a normal bit

i think its worth it, i think thats were you get a lot of your throtle responce from, mine is plastic. i would use the long drill bit, if you dont, it is hard to center the bit to drill the hole. there was a "dimple" on mine were it looked like a marking for the hole, the long bit is to reach the spot from the top of the slide. the other side is contoured and not flat, wich makes drilling hard. easy and free mod. DO IT !:thumbsup:

Vacuum is what lifts the slide,if it was brass...way to heavy. The extra hole allows the slide to raise faster for better response to right hand.

Hey guys anybody have a link to be able to read up on this mod ? thanks

No link but here's the site

keintech.com go to DR650 scroll to slide drilling. you can't waste time reading there - it's all good

Its on the same page as the airbox mod instructions/photos...

http://kientech.com/DJDR650AbMod.htm

The longer drill bit will allow you to drill from the top and use the slot as a guide. Drilling from the back side is a crap shoot as there's really no reference marks back there to ensure that you drill through in the right location.

A worthwhile mod, for sure. I did this prior to doing the airbox/dynojet/fmfQ2 farkles on mine and there was a noticeable difference in throttle response just on its own.

My slide was plastic, the modifications worked great! More responsive. It isn't brain surgery, if the hole isn't perfect the slide and carb will still work better than stock. Enjoy the increased throttle control.

Hey guys anybody have a link to be able to read up on this mod ? thanks

I have the detail working instructions on the stock DR650 carb which covers :

- removal of the carb

- where and how to drill the slide

- shimming the needle.

- where to drill out the brass cap to insert Kientech air/fuel screw extension

I download this from either ADV or Thumpertalk and saved it into pdf format.

Anyone interested, PM me your email. File size 1.3Mb.

I looked all over for a #39 drill bit to drill the slide. I finally found one that was 4 1/2 inchs to make it all the way through the slide. Openen it up and was sickened to find my slide was plastic and not brass like the ones I see in alot pictures I saw on this site. Is piece of crap worth drilling?

I used a 3/32 long drill bit since I already had one. It is very close in size to the #39 bit. Use a drill press to avoid a screw-up. Great mod, good throttle response. :thumbsup: