Sign in to follow this  

Arm Pump

I go to the gym 6 days out of the week, I am a wrestler as well so I would say I have very strong forearms. And it seems like every race I get major arm pump. Anyone out there got any tips on how to reduce it?

You are holding on to tight :thumbsup:

Seriously...When you relax you won't get arm pump. It's all in the head and very hard to deal with. I could ride all week and be fine but the first lap at a race was awful

Well yeah when you are going over a big jump or something that boost the adrenaline the bodies natural action would be "OH CHIT HANG ON" but now that I think about it more, relaxation is really the only logical way to overcome this like you said. Not lifting weights harder trying to get stronger forearms.

Ride more

Hold bike with your knees, not arms

Dont drink coffe, soda, ect. ect. if you are gonna ride that day

Drink lots of water

Deep breaths, relax

Ride more

I had the same problem and now its not as bad after practicing what I said above.

at first, you have to think about relaxing and using your legs more. during a race or hard track ride you have to remind yourself to find places on the track or in the air to consciously relax your grip on the bars.

after a while, it will become natural to relax and your overall speed, flow will get better.

seat time.

They key is def. to squeeze with your knees, keep yourself in a nuetral position so your not pulling or being pulled, staying relaxed on your grip, and def. ALOT of riding time...

Nutrition has a ton to do with it as well. Take some bannas and oranges with you next time, they seem to help. Stay away from sodas and energy drinks.

Just remember, there is a difference between strength and endurance. Do more forearm exercises. Less weight and more reps..... + what everyone else said.

I agree with KC. It's not strength you need, but muscular endurance. Less weight more reps is the key :thumbsup:

when you guys say grip with your knees do you mean your actual knees or your legs in general. Because i am tall enough that my knees stick above my seat when standing so i cant grip with them.

when you guys say grip with your knees do you mean your actual knees or your legs in general. Because i am tall enough that my knees stick above my seat when standing so i cant grip with them.

Then logic tells you to grip with what grips the bike. Generally, more averaged size guys are closer to the gas tank, and their knees naturally hug it. Your legs and core should be what controls the bike.

I suffer from it too, being I only have time to ride once a week...A Pro MX trainer told me to hang an old set of handle bars in the garage and just hang from them, and practice easing off my grip. After a while you will notice that you can hang there without holding on tight at all!

Best way to reduce it is ride more often. Try some hand squeezers during the week.

What armpump is, is the failure of your old blood cells to leave your forearms fast enough. Therefore the new blood comes in and creates pressure in your arms, which causes the numbness and pain. The pressure then compresses all the nerves and muscles around your blood stream and you lose the proper function.

Now, the best way to prevent it from happening sooner in the race is to get your blood flowing nicely before the race. Jogging for about 20 minutes before your moto, will work. Also, jumping jacks, etc. Anything to get your blood flowing.

Another thing, teach yourself to grip the gastank with your knees so you can loosen your grips on the bars. Good luck!

• Like 2

Best way to reduce it is ride more often. Try some hand squeezers during the week.

What armpump is, is the failure of your old blood cells to leave your forearms fast enough. Therefore the new blood comes in and creates pressure in your arms, which causes the numbness and pain. The pressure then compresses all the nerves and muscles around your blood stream and you lose the proper function.

Now, the best way to prevent it from happening sooner in the race is to get your blood flowing nicely before the race. Jogging for about 20 minutes before your moto, will work. Also, jumping jacks, etc. Anything to get your blood flowing.

Another thing, teach yourself to grip the gastank with your knees so you can loosen your grips on the bars. Good luck!

Us old farts appreciate a youngster that is literate and helpful. cudos!:thumbsup:

Us old farts appreciate a youngster that is literate and helpful. cudos!:thumbsup:

Thanks! I am usually treated as a stupid person, since I am young. But, I'm typically useful, but when people see my age, their opinions normally change and I'm now dumb. Ahh well. :lol: Thanks a lot! :ride:

Came across this article just recently:

http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer/dale_mac_arm_pump.html

Arm pump really has not much to do with strength at all. It is all about blood flow and lactic acid build up in the muscles. If you have great cardio fitness then it would just be about building that endurance in the arm muscles to evacuate all the bad stuff and get that good oxygenated blood in there.

I struggle from arm pump too. Mostly because I am a smoker, addicted to Dr. Pepper, and hate exercising! It sure showed in a race this weekend. Lap 4 on the 1st moto I could barely hold on. Racer X has some great articles on MX fitness. Hopefully I will get myself straightened out and good luck to you as well!

Ride as much as possible. Do no direct forearm work. warm up and stretch your forearms.

all the info above was good. The only one I disagrre with is direct forearm work.

That trains the muscle for a "pump"responce.

Try gripping with more of your ankle/calf area when standing. I'm pretty average size (5'11") and I've found that gripping with my lower legs tightly gives a much greater area to spread that contact force over. Gripping this way feels much more natural in a standing position and allows me better control of the bike for longer periods of time. I also feel much more mobile in the upper body region as my knees can pivot with the rest of my body allowing free movement of my body over the bike.

When sitting, I grip with my entire lower leg including my knees as my knees naturally hug the tank in a sitting position.

also working out 6 days a week builds up lactic acid in you body no matter what body partyou are working out cut back on weights and do cardio. never wor out the day before you ride let the body rest