Sign in to follow this  

Why is this thing surging?

I just noticed yesterday that my 03 E model surges at higher RPM's. I was cruising around 70ish and felt it and I probably have just never noticed it or thought it was the road. I got the bike 3 months ago and don't have much highway time on it. My KLR has an air screw that you can adjust to fix surging, does the DRZ have this?

The PO removed the snorkel and rejetted it, but I'm not sure what jet he put in. Is that all that's involved in the 3X3 mod (well other than cutting the airbox)?

On a related note, I plan on getting SSW-MRD exhaust with my tax return, will I need a different jet?

Can't tell you to much my self but it would seem that since your having somewhat of an issue with the carb and do plan on getting a new pipe I would just get the JD jet kit and start over from there. Don't forget the extended fuel screw to make tuning easy.

Cheers logan

get the JD jet kit and with your mrd and 3x3 you'll want

160 main jet

Blue needle 4th clip from top

25 pilot jet (22.5 pilot jet with extended fuel mix screw)

2.75 turns out

Just learned here that if its worst when the bike is hotter, its probably because the mix is too rich, so you should wash the air filter for start, if it doesnt get better try rejetting.

Same was happening to me, washed the filter and bike runs way better now.

get the JD jet kit and with your mrd and 3x3 you'll want

160 main jet

Blue needle 4th clip from top

25 pilot jet (22.5 pilot jet with extended fuel mix screw)

2.75 turns out

The PO got the JD jet kit but I'm not sure what jet is currently in there.

What's the blue needle and where can I get this long screw?

The PO got the JD jet kit but I'm not sure what jet is currently in there.

What's the blue needle and where can I get this long screw?

Pull the carb out, remove the jets and needle and check them out. The jets are marked with numbers and the flat spot on top of the needle will either be painted blue or red.

OK, freaking Uncle Sam kept more than I thought he would so the MRD exhaust is on hold for now. What jet should be in there at sea level with stock exhaust and the snorkel removed? I guess I should go ahead and order the long fuel screw before I tear it apart.

2003 E model with stock carb. I believe it's the FCR and it just says 'keihen' on the side.