Sign in to follow this  

are crfs really that bad

OK so im looking at buying a 2005 CRF 450R. Honda seems a very popular bike and i have got a very good honda dealer near to where i live.

I have read alot in forums and in magazines that the standard suspension and clutch are pretty poor.

Now the last thing i want do is get the suspension set up professionly and fork out for a hinson clutch.

Can anyone advise me what the crfs suspention and clutch are really like to live with.

I am 14 stones and i want to ride motocross. Not racing just practice track stuff.

To answer your question NO Honda's are not bad at all. The 09/10 does have some light clutch springs and only 4 of them. But the other year bikes are fine as far as im concerned> Got a bad rep from guys who thought they could maintain them like XR's. Meaning very little maintenance!! They can be great bikes as long as you set it up for your weight and riding style just like any other brand. But as the previous post dictates You may want to start out on a 250 depending on your experiance??

If you are the avg 14yr old, you probably weight around 140-150 lbs. The bike is a little heavy for your weight to push it around. And, a 450 is a little big for you. Like mentioned, get a 250. More controllable to learn on. By the time you wear that bike out, you will be ready for a 450. Also, only problem area is the titanium intake valves. But, most, if not all modern mx bikes have them, so its not a honda thing. Besides that, honda has THE BEST build quality of any manufacturer.

Everyone say KTM is such a good bike. Look at the engine rebuild that rockymountainatv has posted on youtube. Just look at the poor engine design. You must break the chain to remove the head. Check out the oil line they ran outside the engine to the top of the head. I say, honda is known for their engines, just about anything is run on a honda engine. Can't go wrong with the big red.

Yes all Honda's are piece of crap:lol: please dont buy one and come back here and cry I dont know how to fix it. The valves ware out in just 2 rides pistons only last 10 hours tires blow up and suspensions are like pogo sticks:banana:. I think you will be better off with a Cannondale.:thumbsup: I wish TT would make it manditory to post your age.

1. 05-07 were the gnarliest 450's Honda has made, they detuned them in 08, so an 05 is definitely not for a beginner.

2. Suspension is the FIRST thing you want to have set up when you buy a bike.

3. If you're not racing, why not get a less expensive bike, like a 125 two stroke? If you're learning, it will help teach you how to use the clutch. A 450 doesn't sound like it's a fit for you, even if you're a huge 14yo.

OK so im looking at buying a 2005 CRF 450R. Honda seems a very popular bike and i have got a very good honda dealer near to where i live.

I have read alot in forums and in magazines that the standard suspension and clutch are pretty poor.

Now the last thing i want do is get the suspension set up professionly and fork out for a hinson clutch.

Can anyone advise me what the crfs suspention and clutch are really like to live with.

I am 14 stones and i want to ride motocross. Not racing just practice track stuff.

Suspension differs between brands and some don't like the way Hondas handle, but overall I hear very few complaints. The same with clutches. Pretty reliable from what I hear.

What kind of a deal are you getting on it?

You are fairly heavy so i don't think the 450 would overwhelm you, but at the same time you get probably get by with a 250 to start.

If you are the avg 14yr old, you probably weight around 140-150 lbs.
even if you're a huge 14yo.

He's saying he weighs 14 stones (~200lbs) not that he's 14 years old

:ride: sorry! I thought that was weird to say "stones" for your age...:thumbsup:

So you're a 200lb 14yo??

...kidding. :lol: Even if you're a beginner, you may feel more comfy on a 250f...I'd scratch my 125 idea though.

I had an 05 I bought new and kept for a couple of years. Had zero problems with it (apporx 80 hours). Valves never even moved.

Motor - tons of power, especially off the bottom. Very stall prone as it has little flywheel effect for a 4T. Way more power than the YZ 250 2T I replaced it with.

Suspension - very good in the rear. Front is good but it rides high in the front which cause problems turning. I ran a 756 up front, seemed to help some. The poor turning is the main reason I sold it.

Brakes, excellent.

Stock chain is junk. Rims not that great.

Air filter access is a pain. be very careful removing and reinstalling it.

Oil changes - be very careful with the crankcase drain bolt (by counter shaft sprocket) as it is very easy to strip it.

Great seat and ergos.

Thanks for the advice guys keep the coments coming.

I weigh 14 stones (200 lbs), my age is 32, ive ridden 125 and 250 two strokes but i want a four stroke that scares me. How much can i look at paying for a suspension set up in pounds sterling. how many springs does the 05 clutch have.

Im looking on ebay got about £1500 to spend on a bike

I'd like to point out that you went to a CRF forum to ask if the CRF was "really that bad". :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice guys keep the coments coming.

I weigh 14 stones (200 lbs), my age is 32, ive ridden 125 and 250 two strokes but i want a four stroke that scares me. How much can i look at paying for a suspension set up in pounds sterling. how many springs does the 05 clutch have.

Im looking on ebay got about £1500 to spend on a bike

suspension setup costs approx 800$ CAD.. thats like 400 pounds sterling I believe. I could be off though. this price includes: shipping, springs, revalve, oil, time, etc...

the clutch is a 6 spring.

1500 is about 3000$ CAD.. around here you can only get a 2002 or 2003 for that. in the US theres guys letting their 08s go for probably 3000$ :thumbsup:

Iam a vet rider had hondas all my life had the first 4 years of crf 450 man did that suck I would have to revale them once a year.I kept holding out in hopes honda would fix their problem never did so I jumped ship to kxf450 man this thing just keeps running I will never go back to them money pits mabey the new ones are fixed but mines a 07kxf450 and just a great bike.