Sign in to follow this  

Newb needs help

Hey guys just got my first thumper an xl600r. It an 87 and in fair shape but....it hasnt run for a couple of years. I took the carb of and cleaned it up good and reinstalled. The bike now kicks over and will idle for a bit but then sputters and dies. and it will not rev up at all as soon as you crack the throtle it dies and you can hear air escaping form the air box......I need help got this thing cheap and want to keep it that way!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the help

Andy

My guess is more carb cleaning is needed. I've had to remove a carb multiple times before getting it clean enough. You need to make sure all the hidden passages are clean.

i would just give it a run through. carb, gas, spark plug, air filter, that sort of thing.

OK ill try that again....next question is there an easier way to get the damn carbs out???what a pain trying to get these things out....Any ideas?

OK ill try that again....next question is there an easier way to get the damn carbs out???what a pain trying to get these things out....Any ideas?

How about a 6 foot prybar:lol::thumbsup:

B

Double post,,deleted..

Edited by Horri

The easiest way to get the carbs out is to bend each of the airbox plastiky/rubbery hoses back behind the two downtubes that run close to them. Remove the plastic type hose clips that hold the pipes onto the carbs before bending the Airbox tubes. One airbox intake behind each tube. Then remove the carbs towards the right hand side..With the Airbox tubes out of the way it just makes things slightly easier. Someone will turn up saying "don't do that as you will wreck them"..Incorrect..I've done it multiple times and have wrecked nothing..Oh yeah,,,and take that huge plastic oil canister type thing off..It's something to do with filtering or smog but just gets in the way when you're trying to put the carbs on or take them off..It still won't be easy but thats the best method I've discovered.. I'm not sure which way you're doing it at the moment but my way does not require you to remove the Carb manifolds that attach to the head,,they stay in position..no need to touch them.

Edited by Horri

ok thats what i did last time but it was tough glad to know I dont need the oil canister off it is in the way and my plan is to remove everything thats not needed and turn it in to a street tacker...but I just want it to run for now....any ideas on where I can find an exploded carb view something that shows how to take it apart and put it back together???

So About the black plastic oil canister on the left side by the carbs???? I took it off to remove the carbs....does it have to go back on? Is it needed? can I leave it off what does it do?

So About the black plastic oil canister on the left side by the carbs???? I took it off to remove the carbs....does it have to go back on? Is it needed? can I leave it off what does it do?

It's called a Separator/Breather in the parts diagram..Under Airbox in the parts list.

No idea what it does. ,,Nought of major importance anyway.

I've removed it on all my XR/XL's..All I run is the rubber type pipe which exits the bottom breather which comes out of the center of the gearbox crankcases,,,'ie below the carbs. No problems for me.