Sign in to follow this  

Gas Mileage...4 gal tank; only 138 mi

Hi Guys..

I have added a 4 gallon IMS tank for better long distance riding. The 2005 DRZ400s that I purchased had the carb rejetted and airbox mod already done. I believe the re-jetting was for higher altitude and I live in NC. I realized that the fuel mileage is quite poor as for 4 gallons I can only ride about 138 miles before I have to get into reserve. I am planning on doing the TAT in August and will be mostly riding at lower elevation. IS the stock carb setting better until Colorado? Or leave the stock carb setting as is as the mountain passes are only temporary? I was hopping of getting at east 200+ miles on a 4 gallon tank and this is apparently not to be.....why?

MPG depends on several things, gearing, top speed, how you use the throttle, weight, and etc. How big is reserve? If you are getting 45 mpg and reserve is one gallon that puts you on reserve at 135 miles. I generally get between 45-50 mpg the way I ride normally, less if I'm acting up. If you get 50 mpg that's going to put you on completely empty at the 200 mile mark, 55mpg gets you to 220.

I rode the CO and UT portions of the TAT last summer with a 400e equipped with an Acerbis 4.25 and was getting 50-55MPG with my mild mannered trail riding style. My bike is basically stock engine with just a re-jet and a White Bros. R4 slip on. I ran the jetting Eddie recommended for me in Texas and carried smaller main jets but never needed to re-jet for the altitude at all. I am sure I was making less power but the delivery remained manageable and never sputtered or hesitated. IIRC I ran a 160 main and carried a 142, 150 and 155 main 'just in case' but never needed them. I run 15/47 gears with a DID X ring chain and for my style and needs this was a great combo.

Most of the CO section is well above 5K and we were over 10K a lot of the time. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the bike ran at altitude because I had expected more issues but even at Cinnamon pass (12,640 feet) the DRZ just did its thing and never let me down. I love my bike :thumbsup:

I stopped at all the fuel stops and never had a problem with fuel understandably. On the Lake City to Monticello run (200 mile day) I made the planned fuel stop that day and it was a PITA. Knowing what I know now - I'd skip it and make sure my emergency fuel bottles were full.

I routinely get 170-175 until I hit reserve on the Acerbis. Avg 50/55 mpg on '03 E with Yosh. Couldn't be happier. Ok for the hwy but that big tank sure is heavy when full and trying to ride off road fast.

I did TAT in 2008 with the Clarke 3.9 gallon, jetting for 2500', 3x3, full pro circuit T-4, and 14/44 gearing. I averaged 61 mpg which was a few mpg's better than my budy who had the same set-up but with stock exhaust.

The bike did great the entire trip but did lack serious power over the Colorado passes. Hancock Pass was the only one that mattered though as it is the most difficult to ride, I had to do a lot of clutch work to find power and keep the motor running.

Also, that 61 mpg was with a little romping here and there, not just cruising all the time. Needless to say I came out quite a bit under-budget for fuel.

BTW I was running an Ultra HD tube and super heavy Metzeler Karoo 140 rear tire. Don't know if that makes for better mpg on long trips?

I did TAT in 2008 with the Clarke 3.9 gallon, jetting for 2500', 3x3, full pro circuit T-4, and 14/44 gearing. I averaged 61 mpg which was a few mpg's better than my budy who had the same set-up but with stock exhaust.

The bike did great the entire trip but did lack serious power over the Colorado passes. Hancock Pass was the only one that mattered though as it is the most difficult to ride, I had to do a lot of clutch work to find power and keep the motor running.

Also, that 61 mpg was with a little romping here and there, not just cruising all the time. Needless to say I came out quite a bit under-budget for fuel.

Thank you all and BILLYBLUE400.....I currently have everything stock gearing but have had it re-jetted and 3x3 moded. Hmmnn...I am getting 36mpg overall. Maybe it's the cold weather here that's causing low mileage. Thanks again and I will keep you posted about any improvements....