Sign in to follow this  

Gearing change?

Reading through the Honda/Yamaha 230 Project Comparison...<http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=593308&pageID=3> they did a gearing change. They moved up to a 15T front sprocket, but don't mention changing the rear.

If I wanted to give a different gearing a shot, can I just put a 15T on the front and leave the back(pretty much new) as is?

Also... if I can just change the front and leave the rear as is, do I need to do anything with the chain length?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Changing the front sprocket is an easy and fast way to change gearing. Increasing the size of the front sprocket may be possible without adding links to the chain, depends on how much forward adjustment is available on the rear axle.

What is a recommended ratio for tight woods riding? I want to be able to lift the front end up and have a little between gears. I have a 51 rear and stock front, what ever it is.

I found that I like the 14/50 combo the best for tight woods riding. If the trails I ride were more wide open, I'd probably swap in my 15T. IMO, the stock gearing made 1st gear useless as it was way to low. Since front sprockets are so cheap (~$8), I would recommend buying a bunch of different sizes and trying them out to see what feels best for certain terrain.

One thing to note is that you may have to do some hacking to the chain guide and guard for anything larger than a 13T.

i run 14/49.

everywhere. even at different tracks.

I ended up at the start changing the gearing around and always ended back at 14/49.

this is also the combo i used when i raced hare-scrambles. I tried the 15T and it was way too tall for my liking. it hampered my acceleration alot.

I found that I like the 14/50 combo the best for tight woods riding. If the trails I ride were more wide open, I'd probably swap in my 15T. IMO, the stock gearing made 1st gear useless as it was way to low. Since front sprockets are so cheap (~$8), I would recommend buying a bunch of different sizes and trying them out to see what feels best for certain terrain.

One thing to note is that you may have to do some hacking to the chain guide and guard for anything larger than a 13T.

Appreciate all the info. :thumbsup:

Question... where do you get your sprockets? Cheapest I've found for a front is about $20.

i run 14/49.

everywhere. even at different tracks.

I ended up at the start changing the gearing around and always ended back at 14/49.

this is also the combo i used when i raced hare-scrambles. I tried the 15T and it was way too tall for my liking. it hampered my acceleration alot.

According to the sprocket calculator http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/, the 14/49 combo takes the same amount of chain links as the stock 13/50... so I wouldn't have to buy a new chain just to try it out.

Any input on where to buy some decent economical sprocket sets?

Thanks for the tips and info. :thumbsup:

JT front and rear if you want it on the cheap.

the rear will be super easy to find, its the same bolt pattern as any modern honda CR/CRF

Rocky Mountain ATV sells some front sprockets for $8.99. They're just some plain steel sprockets, but I've used them on both my 230 and 505 and they hold up really well, especially considering the torque the 505 puts out. And at that price, you really can't go wrong.