Sign in to follow this  

California Santa Barbara to Arroyo Grande Riding

Looks like pozo is closed due to the rains, anyone have any suggestions for a weekend ride? i know we are going to get a little rain. Thinking Colson Canyon or good ol Divide Peak. I've never ridden either place but run the ridge on my DRZ often. Will be riding with a Honda CD450F, YZ426F and a DRZ-S.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I dont know about the riding up there, but have you guys tried (E. Camino Cielo RD.) It is the road that runs along the mountain in Santa Barbara? Its a fire road and there is an old MX track up there. We talk to the ranger last week and he said you dont have to have a parking pass but you have to park at the staging area. The drive up the road sucks , but you can have fun all day........

Thanks! I've ridden the Camino Cielo from end to end but never headed back onto the trails or onto the track. I've only stayed on the road back to Caliente Hot Springs. My understanding is that you have to be street legal on the dirt road but the ORV area (accross from the staging area) is open. Have you ridden the area? I'm not much for the moto track, I love single track and trails. Holister is where I usually ride.

Im not much of a moto guy, its kind of a rough track, we just hit the jumps. Not many single track trails up there, but the fire road is rocky and tough at times, and for something differant to ride, its cool. I have been up there about 10 times, nice view on a clear day and you are right, we parked at the end of the pavement and the ranger told us to park at the staging area and not to ride on the dirt road.

Thanks Tumble Weed, might have to check it out. I'll report back on the conditions.. We have gotten some good rains with more to come.

I spoke to the Santa Lucia ranger district two days ago and they confirmed it would be July at the bare minimum for Colson Canyon OHV to open up. Apparently the road is closed off at Tepusquet and the entire area is pretty beat up. She sounded doubtful of the July opening due to heavy equipment still not being able to get back there because of rains.

The E. Camino Cielo trail is always open pretty much, weather permitting. With the rains due in this weekend, fog is basically going to decide whether it's rideable or not. If the weather isn't too bad, I'll be on the trail breaking in the new top end. PM me if you want to meet up...there's one piece of singletrack up there that's surprisingly challenging and a lot of fun.

I dont know about the riding up there, but have you guys tried (E. Camino Cielo RD.) It is the road that runs along the mountain in Santa Barbara? Its a fire road and there is an old MX track up there. We talk to the ranger last week and he said you dont have to have a parking pass but you have to park at the staging area. The drive up the road sucks , but you can have fun all day........

Some DS pictures:

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25307&highlight=camino+cielo

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16743&highlight=camino+cielo