Sign in to follow this  

Washington Desert 100 *Reminders, tips and advice*

The Desert 100 is just around the corner, leaving you with 5 full weeks to get your bike and yourself ready. :lol: This year is the 40th Anniversary of the 100 and it is shaping up to be one of the largest events in the Northwest (and even the W. USA!)

As Sweep Chair this year, I thought I would take some time (like Wiz636 did last year:thumbsup:) to point out some useful tips, etc…to make this event memorable.

Bike preparation is key…make sure every nut and bolt are torqued to specs. Check those spokes to make sure they are properly tightened. Repack that exhaust can if it is starting to sound “ratty” and to promote quiet bikes!

Gas…poker run day, be able to go 40-50 miles on a single tank…Race Day…at least 50 miles at RACE Pace. Sweep riders are not required to carry gas nor do they have to give you any (they need to be able to get back to pits.) BUT…if someone does give you gas, be sure to thank them! If you carry a bottle of gas, please pack that bottle out. We are guests on private land so please help us by packing any litter out of the course.

Hydration, hydration, hydration…I don’t mean those 12oz lifts the night before. Be sure to carry plenty of water in hydration packs. Drink often.

Tools…carry your basic tools and know how to use them! Carry a spare spark plug and bring the proper tool to remove/reinstall. Never hurts.

Tire and pressure…install UHD tubes and run them at a pressure higher than usual. Desert 100 site has rocks that can and will cause pinch flats. I run about 15-16lbs up front and a Maxxis IT in the back with 14lbs…works good. Pack some heavy duty zip ties that can hold your tire on in the event you do get a flat.

Communication…cell phones do work out there so carry one! Wrap it up in a goggle bag for some protection. If you find that your service is non-existent out there (T-Mobile and Nextel) then jot down some contact #s of people in your camp that have phones that do work.

Communication part 2…There will be an information board near sign up that we will be updating throughout the day. This is for families or friends of riders that are broken down or injured. Please do not ask sign-up workers or vendors if they know where someone is…they will not know! Stay by the information board and one of our communication members will be there updating it.

Injured Riders…If you come across an injured rider, stay with him/her! Tell the next racer/rider to notify the next check or sweep team and give them the best location description as possible. Most SJMC course workers will have radios to communicate with one another. Do not tell medics to go somewhere. That is the sweep team’s responsibility.

Sweep Riders… as I have said before, our number one reason out on the course is aid any rider that may be injured. Several of our sweep riders are full fledged EMT's! :thumbsup: Secondly, our job is course preservation…making sure it stays on pre-determined path. That being said, if you are broken down or stuck, we will offer some assistance up to a point as we need to keep moving along the course. Please don’t expect sweep riders to change your tire or un-swamp your bike if you fall in Crab Creek or the side spur of Crab Creek…that is what your tool belt is for. I will be giving sweep teams some BR8E spark plugs for any 2T rider that has a fouled plug.

Course workers…this includes checkpoints workers, hotdog stand (Sat) poker run, sweepers…please don’t roost us. We are out there to make sure you have fun. If you are having fun, then so are we! :ride:

Wheewww….long list but feel free to add some more information or advice that I might have missed.

Hope to see everyone out there having a great 40th Desert 100 Anniversary!!!!

Mike – MX813/SJMC President 2010

It's called a Poker run not a poker race. go out with your friends and family and have fun thats what it is about.

It's called a Poker run not a poker race. go out with your friends and family and have fun thats what it is about.

watch out of the facory ktm riders, they tend to think the poker run is a race and will block pass you, and have no prob throwing rocks at anyone, even kids on lil pw50's, its kinda messed up

Those factory KTM riders must be really fast,Because of all the years I've been to the desert (First time was 1976) I have never seen them.:thumbsup:

watch out of the facory ktm riders, they tend to think the poker run is a race and will block pass you, and have no prob throwing rocks at anyone, even kids on lil pw50's, its kinda messed up

In the dozen years I have beein doing the Desert 100 poker run (first 8-9 as a spectator) I don't recall seeing that type of behavior. I would say that most riders when coming up on a kid riding a small bike have been pretty courteous to them, despite the color of their bike.

Nonetheless...Saturday is all about fun!!!

I have kids and wanted to do the poker run. It would be real nice to not get run over.. How hard is the poker run for kids? My boys are on CRF50s and ride in my yard all the time and out at Belfair. Is it madness to think that they could do this? Are there choices if the kids get tired or are are we routed around so there are no alternate routs?

How many miles do the kids have to go before they get back to the start?

Just trying to gauge this.

Great list BTW.

I have kids and wanted to do the poker run. It would be real nice to not get run over.. How hard is the poker run for kids? My boys are on CRF50s and ride in my yard all the time and out at Belfair. Is it madness to think that they could do this? Are there choices if the kids get tired or are are we routed around so there are no alternate routs?

How many miles do the kids have to go before they get back to the start?

Just trying to gauge this.

Great list BTW.

Tom,

My son and I did the family poker run with him on a crf50, like your kids. I just rode behind him the whole time...he had a blast and motored up a hill that some of the big bikes were stuck on! There were a couple of sections that we stopped and talked about how to make it through and away he went leaving me to get my bike started and play catch up. We took a break at the hotdog checkpoint for some rest and worked our way back to the pits with plenty of time for a long break before the kids races. Total family mileage is roughly 25 miles.

So...ride behind the kids, teach them to work on holding their line to the best of their abilities and they will do just fine. The one thing that is good to know is everyone is traveling the same direction so no worries about head on collision like you can potentially encounter at Belfair.

I also encourage you to enter your kids in the Kids Race...lots of fun with a ton of spectators lining the course! We usually have all of our sweep teams out there helping out with some helpers in the tricky sections "Just in case..."

mike

Edited by MX813
forgot to mention mileage...duh!

Thanks Mike,

Is there a way to get back if the kids give up early ? I don't think they will but it would be nice to know there was an option to get back. Or maybe it would be nice for me to be able to tell my wife that there was an option :thumbsup:.

I suppose for some of the hills if they get stuck I can push pull or drag the family bikes up.

I do plan on getting them back for the kids race!

Thanks Mike,

Is there a way to get back if the kids give up early ? I don't think they will but it would be nice to know there was an option to get back. Or maybe it would be nice for me to be able to tell my wife that there was an option :thumbsup:.

I suppose for some of the hills if they get stuck I can push pull or drag the family bikes up.

I do plan on getting them back for the kids race!

There really isn't a way to get back (short-cut) to pits once they are out on the course...but, if you just plug along...you will be done in 3 hrs...head out at 9 after breakfast and be back in time for lunch:thumbsup:

I would try to befriend some other parents around you and go out en masse...something about riding with more kids keep em motivated. Last weekend, my kids literally rode from Breakfast to dinner with a few breaks while the adults did some events. They slept well!

I see there is not preregistration for Saturday events. I'm assuming we can pay using personal checks for the Saturday events (namely the Ironman).

Do I assume correctly?

I see there is not preregistration for Saturday events. I'm assuming we can pay using personal checks for the Saturday events (namely the Ironman).

Do I assume correctly?

For kids and poker run events, you can register either Friday evening or early Saturday. Cash or check will work. For our fellow Canadian riders, please help us by exchanging your money when coming down. That would be super!

i think there will be 2 different sign up boths so the lines should be better on Saturday.

Originally Posted by naur112

watch out of the facory ktm riders, they tend to think the poker run is a race and will block pass you, and have no prob throwing rocks at anyone, even kids on lil pw50's, its kinda messed up"

The only one's that I've seen & been a ran into are teenage boys...15 or 16. Being a slowbutsteady 47 year old woman, I'm thankful that I can hold my line and know that my bf that always rides behind me will roost the hell out of anybody that messes with me :lol::smirk::ride::lol: It is alot of fun and usually everyone watches out for the little kiddies :thumbsup:

[quote

The only one's that I've seen & been a ran into are teenage boys...15 or 16. Being a slowbutsteady 47 year old woman, I'm thankful that I can hold my line and know that my bf that always rides behind me will roost the hell out of anybody that messes with me :lol::smirk::ride::lol: It is alot of fun and usually everyone watches out for the little kiddies :thumbsup:

im just a little bitter about them cuz my first year going(when i was 14) one of them blocked passed me and made me go down, and then a lil ways down the trail i sow a ktm rider cut off a little kid on a xr70, and the kid went down cuz of it, im sure there ok riders, my main point was that poker run IS a family ride, hold off on the crazy riding tell the race.

and a hint for everyone, bring some good super glue. for the bike or you, if you crack a plastic or anything like that. or if you hapen to slice open your hand, leg, ect.. it works vary well to hold the cut hold, helped me prolong having to get stiches and finish my ride. super glue= makeshift stiches

Or until you glue your hand to your leg trying to glue it with the handle bar shakes! lol.

Good Idea though, Used it in the Army a few times.

Or until you glue your hand to your leg trying to glue it with the handle bar shakes! lol.

Good Idea though, Used it in the Army a few times.

All of our sweep riders and some of the checkpoints and poker checks will have 1st Aid kits. If you need something feel free to ask. I would hate to be the first rider reported with hand superglued to grip but it would make for some good benchracing discussion.

All of our sweep riders and some of the checkpoints and poker checks will have 1st Aid kits. If you need something feel free to ask. I would hate to be the first rider reported with hand superglued to grip but it would make for some good benchracing discussion.

That's my secret to finishing :thumbsup:

Whoo Hoo i think im ready, last year was my first and i had intended on riding 2 laps on the poker run and the the race on sunday, but after the poker run and the case of beers i was in no shape to do the race. This year its no poker and no beers till after the race on sunday.

Whoo Hoo i think im ready, last year was my first and i had intended on riding 2 laps on the poker run and the the race on sunday, but after the poker run and the case of beers i was in no shape to do the race. This year its no poker and no beers till after the race on sunday.

When you can finish the Poker Run, the case of Beer, AND the race...you qualify to be a stumpjumper sweep rider! :thumbsup:

:ride: