Sign in to follow this  

bikes need help for RRMT

We're planning a trip to Texas at the Red River Motorcycle Trails next weekend and we need input for our bike setups.

A friend rides a 300xc who I told was the perfect bike, but is worried about the jetting and gearing. He's been riding for a while but like me still lacks hill climb experience and confidence so slightly above a novice rider.

My brother is a novice rider on a rm250. We both love the bike in the sand where we do most of our riding but when we made our first trip to RRMT he struggled on the steep climbs. We think we want to slap a fly wheel weight on so we can yank it before the dunes. Not sure on the size though.

We would appreciate some tips on our setups for the trails for some mediocre riders. I ride a 520mxc and I liked the ride last time I just need to fine tune the pilot jet(I was a little rich down low) Thanks for the advice

You talking about the place in Bonham or Bulcher? I've been to Bulcher a bunch and can say there is no perfet setup as the terrain varies so much. Flywheel weight would always help. Its a good place to ride but very large and easy to get disoriented, would recommend a GPS.

Ya I'm talking about the place in Bulcher, my brother and I have been there before with a group of friends so we have a little bit of an idea what we're getting into. Not too sure on the size of fww for his rm250 so we thought we'd post it. Thanks for the advice

There really is no perfect setup because, as noted earlier, the terrain varies greatly. The GPS recommendation is highly seconded, and, if you're riding with a group, a set of 2 way radios w/ good range is an added benefit as well since there is basically zero cell reception out there.

I was out there last weekend and everything was very loose w/ lots of sand, so just make sure to keep your weight back and your speed up. RRMT I think is more about mental setup than physical setup. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the trails are two way but there is only room for one bike/quad, so you need to be constantly aware of your surroundings. From the four hours I spent last weekend, most of the trails are cut in by quads, so if you're used to riding on motorcycle exclusive trails, that may be a factor as well.

Be sure to bring lots of food and drink b/c there's nothing around for quite a ways, and a bottle of hand sanitizer doesn't hurt either since the port-o-potties are the only facilities :-)

We have a KTM section here. I'd try that.

if noone can help, where should I post this to get some advice?