Sign in to follow this  

clutch perplexion

at the begining of last season i was racing in a harescramble and overheated the engine, i shut it down and waited awhile when i started to go again i had no clutch, the engine ran fine just i couldn't go anywhere, well later i had pulled the springs in the clutch and found they were way to short, i replaced them and the bike ran fine for a few weeks, then it started slipping when i layed on the throttle, i couldn't get over 60 becuase at anything over 1/2 throttle the bike would just stop pulling, now its that time to get the bikes ready for spring and I took the clutch apart and measured everything, everything is in spec though!

there is very little grooving on the clutch basket, claw widths are around 13.4mm the driven pad thinkness is at 2.9mm, the steel plates are not warped, and spring free length is 52mm

it seems like a clutch problem i just cannot figure it out, I have also adjusted the clutch cable in and out and in and out trying to see if that was the problem but it slips no matter how the cable was adjusted... I was running rotella 10-40 after i replaced the springs but ussually just run suzuki brand 10-40

does cable slide freely?

does the clutch still have the shudded springs on the inside of the inner most friction plate with the big i.d.?

yes the cable moves freely, the shudded springs are there, the top one has a bowl like shape and the bottom one is flat which is how i think they are supposed to be...

and they are inside the fiber plate with the big i.d.?

if so first step is to remove the shudder springs.at the same time take the steel plates to some one with a media blaster and have them blasted.

see if that gets you going.

just get rid of the springs all together?

I know that scuffing the discs is an oldschool trick, you think they are just glazed? if i don't have access to a media blaster for another month, could i use sandpaper?

Aren't the plates showing somthing that resembles abuse? Maybe the plates got skorched or contaminated and won't grip under higher loads.

just get rid of the springs all together?

I know that scuffing the discs is an oldschool trick, you think they are just glazed? if i don't have access to a media blaster for another month, could i use sandpaper?

yes,remove them.

if that fiber plate is even slightly worn the springs will hold the steel plate off off it enough to make the clutch slip.

sand paper is fine for the steels.

i cleaned the plates with brake cleaner and looked at them out in the sun, i see some deffinite blue spots all over them, i guess i'll be ordering a set of plates from TT tomorrow when i get paid, i will also take eddies advice on those springs, hopefully that fixes things! thanks guys for your persistance!

yes,remove them.

if that fiber plate is even slightly worn the springs will hold the steel plate off off it enough to make the clutch slip.

sand paper is fine for the steels.

Eddy, are you saying remove and do not re-install the judder springs(run without them)?