Sign in to follow this  

New Top End: Do it yourself videos?

Sup party people!

Getting ready for a new riding season here in colorado and want to put a new piston in my 06 crf450x. I did a new cam back last fall and it was pretty staightforward, but im a little nervous on this top end procedure!

Im looking for a video that will guide me through the process, any suggestions?

Also, is it imperitive that i replace the cam chain? How often do these fail? Anything other advice would be helpfull!

Im ordering to following from TT:

piston

pin

clip x 2

piston ringset

gasket

This is all i need, correct? Judging by the schematics it looks like i find TDC, take the entire top end off, replace piston (only part i dun know how to do), then re assemble? Does the entire cam+valve assembly just lift off easy cheasy?

Thanks for the help guys, always appreciated.

take off the valve cover, loosen timing chain then the cams will come off. the head will then pop off, then take off the cylinder and you will be able to access your piston. Pop off the circlips pull out the connecting rod, put new piston on and do everything in reverse order.

Cam chain is not expensive and its already opened up. Somebody not long ago on TT said his broke after a new top end and very sorry he did'nt spend a few more bucks. It's a chain and we know what are chains do right. STRETCH... Imo

Im looking for a video that will guide me through the process, any suggestions?

Also, is it imperitive that i replace the cam chain? How often do these fail? Anything other advice would be helpfull!

Ok, I have gone through many many many threads here on TT and every single time the guys talk about having the thing open that far doing top end stuff they say replace the chain. So I would so do it do it do it. Then you will be :thumbsup: