Sign in to follow this  

Beta 525 RS?

OK, I'm well behind the times.

I dropped by the local bike shop yesterday to look at a used streetbike. As soon as I stepped through the door I was face to face with a bike that just took my breath away. Really nice looking, lightweight and balanced.... and it had all the lights and blinkers needed to be road legal! 245lbs, Kick and E-start

It is the first Beta 525 street and trail I've seen and I have to say I'm deeply in lust! It's a bit spendy at $6200 OTD, but ooooh man!

Ever see a bike like that? One that just grabs and holds your attention?

Someone tell me bad things about that bike, quickly now! I've already dug out the title for my DR650 and have raided the sofa for loose change....:thumbsup:

first of all what year is it...although it doesnt matter...it has an amazing frame, well suspended and of course the virtual bulletproof ktm525 rfs motor in it. great bike. depending on year and miles on it 6200 otd is not a bad price

I have an 08 450 RS and love it.

Go for it!!! Nothing to really worry about other than answering a lot of questions when riding. Everyone who sees it, wants to know more. :thumbsup:

You know I didn't even bother to ask what year the bike is. I think it's a leftover 2008 or 2009, it's brand new though.

I want to be talked out of this, really. I don't need to go into debt for a bike and the whole idea of going in the door was to check on a streetbike (new job with a 90 mile daily commute!:thumbsup:).

But that Beta is just too nice for me to get it out of my head. Hopefully when I go back Saturdady to test ride the SV650 the Beta will be gone (but then there is a 450 right next to it). The shop owner was just laughing at me and threatening me with a test ride on the 525.

I have always liked the KTM 525 and recognized the engine, then I saw the Excel rims, then I started looking at all the upgrades the Beta has over the KTM... geeze, I can image how a crack head feels looking at a big lump of the stuff.

Maybe I will just go in through the shop door where the SV is sitting, that way I can avoid looking at the Beta...

Keep in mind it is not a very good bike on the street. Just as the 2007 525exc you'll get a killer dirt bike that's street legal but not well suited for high speed operation on the streets. The RFS engine is almost bulletproof but carries very little oil. Add on top of that the poor seat and frankly uncomfortable ergos and you might not be as happy as you think. Now if you need plates for trail connectors and such the Beta is a great bike and that's a good price.

Send the forks in to LES at LTR racing and there isn't much else you need to do other than skid plates, etc.

yeah not a commuter bike, definately not 90 miles a day.

6200 otd on a new 2008/9 beta leftover?somebody get down there and buy that thing.

save knot head....go buy it out from under him

Keep in mind it is not a very good bike on the street. Just as the 2007 525exc you'll get a killer dirt bike that's street legal but not well suited for high speed operation on the streets. The RFS engine is almost bulletproof but carries very little oil. Add on top of that the poor seat and frankly uncomfortable ergos and you might not be as happy as you think. Now if you need plates for trail connectors and such the Beta is a great bike and that's a good price.

Send the forks in to LES at LTR racing and there isn't much else you need to do other than skid plates, etc.

That's what I mean. The dealer has a 2008 SV650 that's a salvage bike (dented gas tank and tweaked handle bar, 7200 miles) very cheap... I think he's going to give me dibbs on it. That was the whole reason for me going in. But that Beta greeted me at the door... I don't NEED a bike like that but MAN do I WANT IT!:thumbsup: I fully realize that it's just a street legal dirt bike and no good as a grocery getter, but there are plenty of good trails within easy reach of my house. Some of them are really tough to bang my DR through and I've been wanting something lighter and mo' powerful.

yeah not a commuter bike, definately not 90 miles a day.

6200 otd on a new 2008/9 beta leftover?somebody get down there and buy that thing.

save knot head....go buy it out from under him

$6200, but you have to think I've delt with the guy since he was turning wrenches in his back yard. He said retail on the bike was $7200 but would price it at $6500, once we started talking the price came down.

If anyone is really interested PM me and I'll send you his contact info and you can work out a deal for yourself. I seriously doubt you'll get the same price he quoted me, but I bet it'll still be one heck of a price (most likely $6500 before taxes but including dealer fees/setup). I'm in East Tennessee, so I don't think anyone on the West Coast should get too happy unless you were heading this way anyway!

He also has a 450 on the floor as well, don't know if he has more in stock or not.

its only money right... you cant take it with you....come on do your part to STIMULATE the economy. spend money you dont do have, be an american :thumbsup:

its only money right... you cant take it with you....come on do your part to STIMULATE the economy. spend money you dont do have, be an american :thumbsup:

Who says he doesn't have money?

Do it my way and pay cash or write a check. You should have seen the expression on the face of the Chevy salesman when I wrote a check for 5 Silverados a couple of years ago................Priceless............. :ride:

Actually I have a hard and unbreakable rule, never borrow money for toys. It's served me well. I've never owed money in my life except for a paid off five year mortgage. It's quite a bit easier once you figure out how much the bank gets in interest that you could pocket yourself and have the ability to resist instant gratification.

Oh, and it is true, you can't take it with you and once you've set yourself up why not spend some of it?

Who says he doesn't have money?

Do it my way and pay cash or write a check. You should have seen the expression on the face of the Chevy salesman when I wrote a check for 5 Silverados a couple of years ago................Priceless............. :thumbsup:

Actually I have a hard and unbreakable rule, never borrow money for toys. It's served me well. I've never owed money in my life except for a paid off five year mortgage. It's quite a bit easier once you figure out how much the bank gets in interest that you could pocket yourself and have the ability to resist instant gratification.

Oh, and it is true, you can't take it with you and once you've set yourself up why not spend some of it?

I like how you think, I too try to pay cash for everything..... especially for toys... unfortunately I had to finance my wife's car... it was an unexpected purchase that I wasn't ready for. Also... I just remodeled my bathroom and I now have $3000 bucks on my home depot credit card..... thank god its 12 months same as cash..... but it looks like i'll have a pretty fat refund. so I should have that payed off when ever i get it.

I did pay cash for all my motorcycles though.. its the way to do it.... the only thing that still sucks... even though you pay cash you still got to wait about 20 days to get your damn title. I also payed cash for my used 2002 tundra a couple years ago..... $14750 out the door.

Money wise... things aren't the best for me right now. I decided to return to college in 05, got out in 09 right in the middle of the crunch... so I've been taking what I can get. My last job was a joke as I was promised the moon and wound up working one full week before getting laid off. So the last month has been with no income. BUT! I start a new job Monday and should be back in decent shape shortly. I could get the Beta by paying down a good chunk and financing the rest but I swore off of credit years ago.

That Beta really caught my eye... I really would like to have the bike, but it just wouldn't make good sense for me to do so. It would throw me off my plan which is for a sub $2000 street bike now, selling my other 2 bikes and looking for something more trail worthy this spring. A used KTM 525 is what I have been wanting, but a plated RMZ 450 would fit the bill too!

Edited by KnotHead

Knothead your looking at this in the wrong way. I see you have a DR650 which is more than capable of doing the 90 mile a day ride without strain. Buy the Beta, transform the ol' Suzuki to slab duty and there ya go, a ride to work bike and a badass DS:thumbsup:

Knothead your looking at this in the wrong way. I see you have a DR650 which is more than capable of doing the 90 mile a day ride without strain. Buy the Beta, transform the ol' Suzuki to slab duty and there ya go, a ride to work bike and a badass DS:thumbsup:

Now damnit, you guys are supposed to be talking me OUT of the Beta!:ride: You just made an argument that's going to cause me trouble. I already have the DR set up with Pelicans, a top box and a windscreen and I can strip it or equip it in less than half an hour.

I was going past the shop today... caved in and turned around to have another look at the Beta. I didn't even think about the SV...

I had a girlfriend once that made me about this crazy, turned out that she was bad news (but oh so GOOD!:thumbsup:).

I had a girlfriend once that made me about this crazy, turned out that she was bad news (but oh so GOOD!:ride:).

I know from living with a stripper for 6 months in my earlier years about that crazy feeling your talking about but that ride was always interesting with lots of adventure!

Just look at the Beta as a stripper, no she's not going to be cheap, probably a lot of maintenance, will get you into bunches of trouble from steering you into directions that are bad................but, When you ride up to a trail and all of the other guys are lusting over your ride, when you "hit that" beautiful technical single track with all of the testosterone you can muster up and the Beta is still asking for more, you'll know that even though it was a costly ride and will probably beat you up every chance it gets, your going to get back on that beast the first chance you get!:thumbsup:

Life is WAY too short.

Better to have done something and regret doing it, than to regret never doing something at all (disclaimer: within moral and financial reasons of course).

6K is not too much in reality. At least your not going out and spending 50 or 60K on some fancy car that you pay $500 a month on.

IF you ride dirt regularly and are serious about it, then jump on that deal cuz it's a sweet bike indeed :thumbsup:.

Edited by G-Bone
omit text

i just hate the color red... if they had orange plastic for a beta i might buy one :thumbsup: maybe i will just stick to my ktm....its the right color already :ride:

i just hate the color red... if they had orange plastic for a beta i might buy one :ride: maybe i will just stick to my ktm....its the right color already :lol:

There is black, white and the red is kind of an orangish red plastic kits from Beta . It isn't like a Honda red if that is the negative. My bike (09) is white . I got some used black plastic that is pretty hammered online but it was cheap. I will do a plastic refurbish rework and make it as shiny as possible. Now I am scanning for some new graphics . The orange and black of ktm does look pretty cool to me though. I will go for the Black plastic with red graphics for the next redo from the stock look.:thumbsup: