Sign in to follow this  

best 2 stroke trailbike?

i know this is a weird question. i would like to know from the fellow members in their opinion what is the best 2 stroke dirtbike for hitting the trails, hill climbs, technical stuff, no track. what is the best bike for this, stock, off the showroom floor. ive had a few bikes, an 01 rm125 that was too little for me, a 91 rm250, just sold my kx500 which was indeed a handful, and i still have my 01 wr426. i would like to add a bike to beat down on the trails and is not as costly as a four stroke to rebuild. thats why i would like to add a 2 smoke to the stable. im hoping to get your opinions on which manufacturer has a 2 stroke that handles well stock and has lots of power. i was sort of leaning towards the ktm 300's. please give me your opinions, i dont want to mess with the cr500 or the kx500 anymore. any positive advice is greatly appreciated

Good bikes=

KTM 200-250-300 EXC and XCW

Modded YZ 250

KDX 200 and 220

I think Husky makes some good ones too...

Can't go wrong with:

'05 newer KTM 200-300 varieties

'05 Newer YZ 250 (modded for trail riding)

Those seem to be the most popular, but really any of the more recent ones will work just fine. I'd also take a serious look at Husky WR250/300.

If your not super aggressive a kdx is a super "trail" bike and the price is right!...that being said KTM 200-300 or 05'+ yz

'05 newer KTM 200-300 varieties

Can't go wrong with the 03 and up really....

bone stock, ktm 200-300 xc-w's or gasgas, or husqvarna's

KTM 250/300 or Yamaha YZ250. Since you mentioned hillclimbs, the KTM 200 is out of the question. :-)

My 03 YZ250 with no woods-specific mods is a much better woods bike than my enduro-setup 04 250EXC, but the newer KTMs are much better.

Personally, I'd like a KTM 250 XC.

My 03 YZ250 with no woods-specific mods is a much better woods bike than my enduro-setup 04 250EXC, but the newer KTMs are much better.

Your woods riding must not be too tight then...

From 2000 and up YZ250s. Bullet proof, good handling killer motor plus lots of after market parts. You can't go wrong plus it's not orange.

Craigus

ktm 200 xc new or old they are all great bikes, if you have the money get the better newer ones, and if you dont you can still get great bikes for really low prices. I got mine on craigslist for really cheap!! sometimes you can get a great deal off someone who doesnt know how much their bike is really worth! :thumbsup:

rmx 250

kdx 200/220

ktm 200/250/300 xc

Not in any specific order.

Any modded mx 250 does pretty well, but the enduro style bikes work better for woods riding out of the box.

Your woods riding must not be too tight then...

The woods I ride are plenty tight. I prefer the 03YZ250 - first gear isn't nearly as low however the power delivery is much better than it was on my 250 EXC, and still very luggable. Part of the issue was jetting related; with the Q-stealth and either a Gnarly and a Fatty (tried them both) on the EXC, I was never able to get it jetted properly. Had good low end, screamed up top, but in the midrange it was a dud with poor throttle response. I've gotten my a$$ handed to me many times by the 200s.

Maybe it had potential, but I'm much happier with my YZ250. I still have love for the orange enduro bikes though; when it's time to upgrade the 250XCW will definitely be under consideration.

03 RM 250 with a flywheel weight + devol suspension & a scott's damper.

I'm not biased or anything.

• Like 1