Sign in to follow this  

Give me a brake

Actually I'm hoping that one of you knows how I can lessen the sensitivity of the rear brake on my 08 200XCW. I don't mind the front at all but the rear is more like a light switch. On really steep downhills where there's less weight on the rear it's either no brakes or if I touch the pedal it locks up. Are there different pads available that might not grip so well? Have you any ideas what I might do to have them be more progressive and less sensitive? Thanks in advance if you have any ideas or solutions.

You can adjust the brake pedel for more freeplay or put organic brake pads.

• Like 1

You can adjust the brake pedel for more freeplay or put organic brake pads.

Yes, if you don't like the power of the rear brake, organic (or carbon) pads will bite a little less suddenly than the stock sintered metal ones. They won't work as well in wet weather, but they'll resist boiling and last longer in dry weather.

Yes, if you don't like the power of the rear brake, organic (or carbon) pads will bite a little less suddenly than the stock sintered metal ones. They won't work as well in wet weather, but they'll resist boiling and last longer in dry weather.

This is the key element...if you ride in the wet with them, performance will be reduced (which, for you, may not be a bad thing) and wear rate will increase. I ran them last year in the spring where our first several races were in the mud and muck...I toasted a new set of organic compound pads in 3 harescramble races.

Experiment and see what you think.

-Jay

As mentioned already. Increase slack and change pads. I would recommend anything made by EBC because they are total crap. Makes any brake feel like the same thing used on a covered wagon.

If that is not enough...You could always put a little air in the line. :thumbsup:

I really don’t recommend the last one BTW.

Before buying new pads try this with your existing pads. It wont cost you anything if you have the tools. The rear is a little sensitive on my 250 and I have considered trying this. I usually pull the clutch to avoid stalling when braking.

Cut some of the pad away. You can start by grooving the pad. If that isn't enough you can cut a section out. Add two grooves dividing the pad into thirds. If you want still less braking add more groves in the middle or remove the whole section.

I have never removed a section of pad myself for this purpose, although I have grooved pads a long time ago for different reasons, but it was claimed to work in an article at KTM World on a modified 200. http://ktmworld.com/news_articles/GNCC200_P1/default.asp see the picture in this article. This is a good article. One of sever in a project on this bike.

I suspect this work would be best done with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder or electric grinder. I have die grinders and a Dewalt cordless cut off grinder. A hacksaw might work if you don't have the grinder.

Let us know what you find out if you try it.

Gary