Sign in to follow this  

CR250 Should I

Hey I am thinking about buying a 2000 cr250 as a second bike to fix up and muck around with. have searched the forum and found some good info but just wanted to ask opinions of this bike? I already have a yz450f and have had a 2000 yz125 and this one was for sale.

It has the aluminium frame which my 04 450 doesnt which seems like a bonus and being a 250 im thinking it will have more guts than my old 125 for the hillclimbs etc.

1. is a 10 yr old bike too old?

2. parts availability for the bikes age?(AUS)

3. Any things to look for on this model

Any info appreciated

thanks will

Sounds great only problem is you may never want to ride your yz450 ever again.

Yes go for it. I just got an 01 cr 250 and plan on keeping it going for a long time. There seem to be a lot of 250's out there at really good deals. People seem to be dropping them left and right for the bigger 4 strokes. You will get a lot of information about which years are best and stuff. 00 is a fine year!

Is a 10 year old bike too old for what? Some guy could be out riding a late 80's or early 90's CR 250 and make you look like a fool. The bike is just a small piece of the puzzle. For most CR 250's, parts are pretty easy to come by. I have a 96, and I haven't found it difficult at all to find things I need or want. (Besides a skid plate) When all else fails, ebay can save the day.

ok thankyou i am going to look at it this arvo, he has AUS $2500 on it but said hed take $2000 , he said the expansion chamber needs replacing but i will soon see later. If any good id be hopeful to get it for $1800 or something. If i was to pull it down and rebuild it would my local dealer have (or be able to get) gaskets and everything for it i know as a car mechanic after 10 yrs they dont have to stock parts for a car anymore.

If it's in good shape, and offered at a very reasonable price, why not buy it? You should be able to enjoy it quite a bit. Power wise there is no comparison to a 125. 250 2 strokes are always fun to ride.

i have a 2000 cr 250 and its the best bike i have ever owned!! very reliable. and still doesn't look ancient. and IMO performs as well or better than any 2002 + cr 250s..im not fast enough to appreciate the minor improvements that 2002 and up made...so this old 2000 is all i need

Yes go for it. I just got an 01 cr 250 and plan on keeping it going for a long time. There seem to be a lot of 250's out there at really good deals. People seem to be dropping them left and right for the bigger 4 strokes. You will get a lot of information about which years are best and stuff. 00 is a fine year!

Around here the trend seems to be just the opposite. Lots of people going back to two strokes, which hopefully will continue to be the trend.

Ya interesting. While looking at bikes for sale I have maybe seen one or two that were looking for two strokes coming from 4 strokes. Not the rule by any means though. I imagine they will start to get less available at some point.

Yeah if you want a 2-stroke grab one. Once again our congressmen have decided whats best for us. Like what kind of bikes we want to ride. They will not be making anymore for shipment to the US after this year or if they do they will be in few numbers.

I wonder what else they will be deciding for us.

I just picked up a 97, can't wait to take her out and let her rip, its been a long time since I felt a real powerband kick in. Hold on or get off!!

Well, seeing as how reliable internet information can be, I wouldn't take much of what you "google" to heart. I think if I were going to rely on any information, it would be straight from the horses mouth.

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/P1002K3G.txt?ZyActionD=ZyDocument&Client=EPA&Index=2000%20Thru%202005&Docs=&Query=EPA%20closed%20course%20vehicles&Time=&EndTime=&SearchMethod=3&TocRestrict=n&Toc=&TocEntry=&QField=pubnumber^%22420F02045%22&QFieldYear=&QFieldMonth=&QFieldDay=&UseQField=pubnumber&IntQFieldOp=1&ExtQFieldOp=1&XmlQuery=&File=D:\ZYFILES\INDEX%20DATA\00THRU05\TXT\00000017\P1002K3G.txt&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=h|-&MaximumDocuments=10&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r75g8/r75g8/x150y150g16/i425&Display=p|f&DefSeekPage=x&SearchBack=ZyActionL&Back=ZyActionS&BackDesc=Results%20page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=1

This would be why KTM lists all of their 2 strokes as closed course competition bikes. This way there are no regulations on them. And seeing as how KTM 2 strokes make up 40% of their sales in the U.S. alone, they have no reason to discontinue production of their 2 strokes.

The Japanese manufacturers may quit, but they have already seen a decline in sales of their 4 strokes while the after market 2 stroke market has picked up. So, only time will tell what really happens. It depends on the consumer. Besides, they can't take away what we already have....they have better things to do with their time and money.

Edited by KcDavis