Sign in to follow this  

what "exactly" do i need to convert xr100 points to cdi?

picked up a good running 85 xr100, but i figure i should get ready to convert eventually.

stator, flywheel, harness, cdi box, coil.

any keyways?, stator cover? what the bits and pieces that i should know?

thanks

You gotta knock off a little nub on the older cases for the newer stator plate to fit. You also need to weld mounts for the newer coil, cdi box. You also need a stepped key from xr100.com, they are severely on backorder, though. I have been waiting since about Nov., they said it should be only a couple more weeks. You can also run without one. I sell CDI setups on Ebay all the time. username: honeyman21 $199.99 or best offer...:thumbsup:

For mine on my xr75 frames they had some tapped holes in the frame for the coil. I just made a couple brackets. They look a bit cheesy, but they work.

You gotta knock off a little nub on the older cases for the newer stator plate to fit. You also need to weld mounts for the newer coil, cdi box. You also need a stepped key from xr100.com, they are severely on backorder, though. I have been waiting since about Nov., they said it should be only a couple more weeks. You can also run without one. I sell CDI setups on Ebay all the time. username: honeyman21 $199.99 or best offer...:thumbsup:

did i miss something on the statement above?

do you mean, just line it up without the offset key? will it hold?

Edited by HappyG

It will hold it, I would get stepped key, though. Just to be safe, from

xr100.com $25? I think that is the cost.

You can use a original key to line it up. I did for 10 years or so. Just slide the flywheel on, center it, tap it a bit with socket and hammer, then double check it to see if it's still centered and bolt on with a air impact. Ride for a bit (15 minutes or so) and re-tighten it. If it runs good, then it's right, if not, re-do it. I've only had to re-do it a couple times over the years.

However, I did eventually cough up $25 plus shipping and tax for a little tiny step key. But's it's worth the piece of mind.

I'll open up this thread again...

I have an XR75 (-77 I think) that I'm thinking of doing this CDI conversion on. Is there room for the outside pick up? It was a while since I opened it up and had a look how it looks in there, but I guess the pick up must be located on the top right where the cables exit, right? And will that position be ok with the timing?

As has been noted many times in the past, there is no performance gain with the CDI setup, just reliability. No shame in throwing in a points & condenser, spending the remainder of your $200 on actual performance mods.:p