How many miles is too much? xr250l

If it really is mint and it has over 7K, then they are probably road miles. I purchased a similar '79 XL250s with over 10K. It was clean as can be. I would have ridden it across the US an back if my butt could handle it.

Check for smoke on COLD startup and smoke under acceleration. If it was taken care of properly it's possible to have little or no smoke. At that many miles I'd be willing to take a little smoke if the price was fair and I was willing to rebuild it in the near future.

Mine has about 13k miles on it and it has been ridden pretty hard on and off road. It does smoke a little on start up but other than that it has been very reliable and I have never had to do any major work to it.

rebuild it in the near future?

Are you kidding?

This is a HONDA. An air cooled Honda from when they built them to last!

I wasn't kidding with my mileages.

Yeah but If it's smoking, it's smoking doesn't matter if it's an XR. It's still a good indicator of how well it was taken care of over it's life. That '79 XL250s I had didn't puff a bit with over 10K miles. My Ascot (XL500) had about 18K, it was also a clean runner. But my 400 with 6K smokes at start up and looses a bit between oil changes. I guess rebuilding isn't a necessity, it's just a really good excuse to bore it out.

Hey, these bikes are crazy eazy to work on...if it needed a piston, rings, and valve guides, that's an afternoon with some tunes and a couple of brewskies. I just learned how easy it was since I did the top on an XR4 with a friend. Everything was still in spec and didn't replace anything. I just figured it hadn't been apart in 8 years, and should give it a look-see! Plus! It's winter and there's 2 feet of snow on the ground!