Sign in to follow this  

Hot start seized on my 2009 kx 250f....

pull the carb off

remove the hotstart cable.(hint stick a small flathead in the plunger hole and pry the little tabs open to pull out the cable.)

break the tabs off.

drill small hole into center of plunger

tap small hole

put bolt in to small hole

attach vise grips to bolt and yank it out

the bolt should come out with the old plunger attached to it.

P.S this can be avoided by taking 5 minutes to grease the plunger like once a year.

good luck.

Try to pull your hot start lever more ( after you wash the bike or every time you

ride/start your bike ) This will keep the plunger from sticking.

This happened to mine within a month. I soaked it in wd-40 with the carb off the bike for 2 days and it came out with some needle nose pliers.

It happened on my buddies 07. luckily I regreased everything on my bike before I even rode it.

This happened to me too. Spray the plunger with WD40, PB Blaster or something similar and let it sit for a few days after you get the cable out. If possible try to break it free with a flat head screw driver like a screw before you go breaking the tabs and drilling it out. If it breaks loose just pull it out with needle nose pliers and put a new plunger and O-ring in. I put anti-seize on my new plunger and I pull the hot start a few times every time I walk by my bike. Would one of the metal hot start connectors like this help out this problem by possibly not letting moisture in?

One like this http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/PRO-CIRCUIT-HOT-START-CONNECTOR/?catalogId=105395