Gnarly/Fatty

Eh, https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344959

But seriously. The fatty's supposed to be a great overall pipe. From a 07 stock pipe to a Gnarly I noticed increased torque/pull but not a night/day change if you will. There is less top end with the Gnarly no doubt. This matters not because I never use it.

The Gnarly is gnarly man. Hit a big rock and laugh your way home. What would taco a fatty or stocker will just give you a nice scrape on the Gnarly instead. Very durable pipe. Pipe guards don't work IMO. ?

I went from a complete Doma System with the Doma shorty exhaust to a Fatty with the Q Stealth,I noticed my low end was just slightly weaker but my over rev was really extended. Comparing the 2, if Im going jumping at a track with alot of short run ups Im going to use the Doma system but if any longer runs appear the fatty and Q stealth go on

Eh, https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344959

But seriously. The fatty's supposed to be a great overall pipe. From a 07 stock pipe to a Gnarly I noticed increased torque/pull but not a night/day change if you will. There is less top end with the Gnarly no doubt. This matters not because I never use it.

The Gnarly is gnarly man. Hit a big rock and laugh your way home. What would taco a fatty or stocker will just give you a nice scrape on the Gnarly instead. Very durable pipe. Pipe guards don't work IMO. :ride:

Yeah, it was my understanding that the Gnarly is a thicker pipe and more for the low end grunt but this local bike mechanic (reputable) is telling me I'd benefit more from the Fatty.?

Yeah, it was my understanding that the Gnarly is a thicker pipe and more for the low end grunt but this local bike mechanic (reputable) is telling me I'd benefit more from the Fatty.?

If you get a magnifying glass and correlate Stimps' text entries to the dyno charts you will see that his factory fatty (no different than regular 'cept for metal finish) did very well. IMO, it's an MX pipe.

I'd go with the Gnarly, but thats just me, it defintely takes away the topend but mine was much stronger off the bottom and into the mid which is generally where i like to ride.

Just depends on how you like to ride your bike, if you like carrying higher rpms you won't like the Gnarly, and last i knew Mark you liked to twist the throttle and keep it spooled up

Edited by yathump

I got a gnarly on my 06, and I noticed a decent low and mid boost. The pull comes on a bit lower, but signs off a little sooner. Since I ride trail and single track it works really good for me. The insane hit is still there, just a little lower. I love the hit and if the pipe change had dimished it I would have removed and returned the pipe same day. Plus as previously said, the pipe is tough. I have banged it several times and not even a dent or scratch. That is what keeps that pipe on the bike. Once I got the Gnarly, I rejetted to get rid of spooge, and while it is just ever so slightly rich it pulls like a 4 stroke. And plug fouling issues went away too!!!!

Supercross guys used to use Gnarly pipes for the bursty power in tight confines.

A friend of mine swears by them. I should hook a ride on his bike to see if I like them in the woods. I haven't tried one since 1994 and that was only for a short ride. At the time I thought it was too bursty for the woods. But a lot has changed since that time.

If you get a magnifying glass and correlate Stimps' text entries to the dyno charts you will see that his factory fatty (no different than regular 'cept for metal finish) did very well. IMO, it's an MX pipe.

Stop whining and PM me your email address and I'll send you some bigger ones. I used to have eyesight like that once until I got a few different hobbies..LOL:thumbsup:

Stop whining and PM me your email address and I'll send you some bigger ones. I used to have eyesight like that once until I got a few different hobbies..LOL:thumbsup:

You know the joke.... a magnifying glass and some tweezers.... ?

PM almost sent!

I'd go with the Gnarly, but thats just me, it defintely takes away the topend but mine was much stronger off the bottom and into the mid which is generally where i like to ride.

Just depends on how you like to ride your bike, if you like carrying higher rpms you won't like the Gnarly, and last i knew Mark you liked to twist the throttle and keep it spooled up

True Gary, I do tend to wring it out but you know how some of those sections of tighter trail are, not always room to get on the gas that much. I'm having the bike rejetted again and was considering a new pipe with the jetting, not sure about sacrificing the top of the RPM range though.

True Gary, I do tend to wring it out but you know how some of those sections of tighter trail are, not always room to get on the gas that much. I'm having the bike rejetted again and was considering a new pipe with the jetting, not sure about sacrificing the top of the RPM range though.

And you will definitely lose the top rpms

There was someone on here that bought a DEP the enduro version or whatever they called it, that may be a way to go also since everyone says the DEP gives a boost everywhere

Well i thought they had an enduro version but i couldn't find it

http://www.deppipes.com/#/yamaha/yz250/