Sign in to follow this  

Sachs shock rebuild. Where did I go wrong?

I recently tore down the Sachs shock on my 09' Husky WR in order to get shim measurements. I tore it down no problem and rebuilt it with no problems either.... or so I thought. After getting the nitro charged and installing it I tried it out and the shock has no damping. It just springs up and down like there's no oil in the shock.

Upon reassembly of the exchange piston stack there was one shim that had 4 notches in it that lined up with the piston ports. I lined up the notches with the ports as to allow maximun flow. Is this not correct?

Other than this everything went smooth. I bled it through high speed valving cavity and did a thorough job using Redline 5wt. Torqued the shaft nut to 25ft lbs w. red loctite. I also set the reservoir piston setback to 20mm before inserting the cap and having the nitro charged to 150psi. Where did i go wrong?

Sounds like the piston is backwards.

Trust me...it happens.

It is possible. I'm a total rookie!

As I removed all the shims and piston I did stack them on a rod in proper order, but as I cleaned stuff before reinstalling I may have flipped it.

How do I know which end up?

measure the width of the posts to the edges, eg 44mm shim will have ports approx 43mm apart(edge to edge)

Ahhhhhh!

So, one side of the piston is made to accommodate a 38mm OD shim and the other side is made to accommodate a 44mm OD shim and I've got them backwards which is screwing the pooch for me.

Damn rookie errors :thumbsup:

What about the notched shim in the exchange stack? Should I position it so it blocks the piston ports or so it allows max flow?

I'll tear it down again this weekend and post my findings for the next poor sap who follows my footsteps. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like the piston is backwards.

Trust me...it happens.

Ding ding ding. Winner!

I owe you and Mog a beer. And a big thank you to both!!!!! :banana:

I wont make that mistake twice