Sign in to follow this  

Need RSP Bottoming Cone Instructions

Have a set of 32mm cones for an 03 WR450. Finally putting these together...been carting these all over the country since late 03...

The guy they belong to started to do them himself way back when...instructions are long gone. I have the cones in the cartridges. My problem is the preload washers/step washers location and the proper length of the spring-guides? He has cut/modified the SG's but something isn't right...they are still too long. The 02/03 has a longer nut than the earlier models and I suspect he modified the guides to the 96-01 spec? I have a set off 99 forks I can steal the shorter nut from which does seem to fit correctly, so that part is not a big deal, but am concerned about where the stepped washer & preload spacers go. On bottoming cone or at top of spring against cap?

Have (8) thick preload spacers. The stepped/stamped washer will center/allow (3) preload spacers. Also have one larger OD washer...I suspect the other has been lost/used for another project.

I think the "stepped washer" goes on the bottoming cone with (3) preload spacers and larger OD washer goes against cap with one preload spacer (if needed) but not sure. That gives about 7mm preload. Also wondering if they use the stock lower spring seat steal ring that is lightly pressed on the CV? The 03 cap also has a plastic ring that snaps into/on the inner lip? Stay or go?

I'll snap some pictures later tonight...

Yo Dave? Finally something I suspect you know...:lol::ride:

:thumbsup:

PS: I stuck a 99 cartridge in a bucket of mineral spirts and stroked it to see how bad the CV leaked...it washed my armpit...not that it didn't need it...:lol::lol:

These forks are now going on his brothers WR400...I need to post some shock stacks for that...maybe another day. The specs I had saved from the internet were waaaaay off from what it actually had.

Here is a picture of the kit from the website. I AM missing one of the large OD washers at lower right of picture...

32mm yamahaa abskit.jpg

Man that's a nice setup there.

So this does away with the dreaded CV??

Lew I've got a set of 04's for parts man if you need anything.

Yo Dave? Finally something I suspect you know...:ride::thumbsup:

Well...once again, that degree from Charm School has worked to your advantage.

CONEINSTALL.jpg

Thanks DaveJ! I had all the technical stuff already built just wasn't sure about location of large OD washer & hat style spacer at lower right. Hmmmm? I assembled the cones with the stepped washer in tube "o-ring flange up", worked o-ring down into place, then put the OEM washer in. The cones tightened just before the lip/flange contacted the tube? Without the OEM washer I don't think the o-ring will be compressed/squashed <technical term>? I'll pull it back apart and see... I only read the instructions once back in late 03 and then the owner misplaced them...

Didn't even think to flip the hat style washer over! :ride: I guess you put the preload washers between the large OD washer and hat washer as needed? I had already pressed the OEM spring seats on the cones.

I sent an email to Craig but ain't holding my breath. I've heard he's kinda crabby...:lol: :lol: <pot/kettle> :lol:

What kind of oil height do you start with?

I was going to start at 130mm...I probably won't be around to see how these work...owner is a mechanical engineer, but not very mechanical when it comes to doing this stuff himself...

PS: Dale Carnegie is my idol...:thumbsup::lol:

Thanks DaveJ! I had all the technical stuff already built just wasn't sure about location of large OD washer & hat style spacer at lower right. Hmmmm? I assembled the cones with the stepped washer in tube "o-ring flange up", worked o-ring down into place, then put the OEM washer in. The cones tightened just before the lip/flange contacted the tube? Without the OEM washer I don't think the o-ring will be compressed/squashed <technical term>? I'll pull it back apart and see... I only read the instructions once back in late 03 and then the owner misplaced them...

Didn't even think to flip the hat style washer over! :lol: I guess you put the preload washers between the large OD washer and hat washer as needed? I had already pressed the OEM spring seats on the cones.

I sent an email to Craig but ain't holding my breath. I've heard he's kinda crabby...:lol: :lol: <pot/kettle> :lol:

What kind of oil height do you start with?

I was going to start at 130mm...I probably won't be around to see how these work...owner is a mechanical engineer, but not very mechanical when it comes to doing this stuff himself...

PS: Dale Carnegie is my idol...:thumbsup::p

130 is too low for these as it won't bath the top of the cone as the piston enters.

At least 120, 110 is better.

By the way, I believe the white plastic spring guide is either cut down or removed. Can't remember. I think it was removed, which is a fair amount of volume. We only ran it as we doubled up on the bottoming effect.

And you may be right about having to run the stock washer. We never used either as we were running the vented plate, which now that I think about it, is as tall as the two combined. :ride:

DBSkit-600x517.jpg

completeassem-600x450.jpg

Spring-guides are shortened and modified to look similar to the 00 up WP open-chamber forks. You definitely have to use the OEM washer with the RSP to equal the height of the CV. I put one of these together a couple years ago...was doing a mock-up and found you had to run both washers or you would hear the RSP washer clunking around when stroking the cartridge to top-out, plus you never felt the o-ring being compressed when tightening the cones.

I set oil level to 130 and it sure appeared to me the cones were covered? I may pull a cap off tomorrow and recheck...they have an extra set of 03 YZF 450 forks they have been using. If I stay in the area I might see if they want to try the Phase 4 deal on the spare set...

To clarify...

"Owner" of RSP kit & WR 450 forks bought a set of 03 YZ450F forks off e-bay before we disassembled the WR forks. That way he had a back-up set, as I suspected it would take a few attempts to get the RSP cone forks to work, he worked out-of-town at the time...he has since adapted a set of DRZ 400 forks to the 03 WR. Also have a spare set of those to put back together...want to build a mid-valve and need some hardware, but I digress...

His brother has the 99 WR400. The 99 steel cartridge rod forks were leaking horribly, cartridge rods had chewed the bushing out of the CV's, so they put the now 'spare' 03 YZ forks on that bike.

So...will have a set of stock 03 YZ450F & DRZ 400 forks gathering dust...

Sent Craig an email but no response...just what I expected...:thumbsup:

Pictures of modified spring-guides and top-hat spring seat/cap washer in place. Had about 3mm negative preload. I added washers to get 6mm preload. The upper cartridge is with the 03 jam-nut, lower 99 jam-nut. I'm certain the SG should have been cut shorter for the 03 nut...that was the main reason I wanted the directions as they had detailed info on trimming the guides.

RSP Bottoming Cone <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4471/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4471' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>Yamaha</a> 001r.jpg

RSP Bottoming Cone Yamaha cap installed 3mm negative preload.jpg

how old are you lew ?

my son just looked at that pic and told me how he would put it together :lol:

The "top-hat washer" deal made we smack myself in the forehead...:thumbsup::lol:

Too many hours sitting in the motel watching cable...my brain is rotting...:ride:

i thought you were gonna ask me if my son was nine years old and called byte :thumbsup:

FWIW you can get 310mm travel out of the 46mm OCs by grinding the end off the chrome tube, diddling with all those washers/ spacers and shortening the spring guides

another way to get rid of the CV is to flip the rod seal, those bottoming cones do look the goods though :ride:

pics of a set 03 yz fork i did

http://www.husaberg.org/gallery/v/Members/bushmechanic/46mm+KYBs/

i thought you were gonna ask me if my son was nine years old and called byte :thumbsup:

HI DAD!

Byte