Sign in to follow this  

Steering dampers??

Just was wondering what everyone has had good luck with? I'm in the market and was leaning towards a scotts or gpr. Ohlins looks nice but its too much money. And elka and fastway look like the same unit. Any help would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

Ive used Scotts over the years, just make sure to get an under bar mount kit. I got a little bent out of shape on some whoops on a bike with an over the bar kit. I proceeded to bounce my chest off the bars which lead to a cracked sternum.

Ive used Scotts over the years, just make sure to get an under bar mount kit. I got a little bent out of shape on some whoops on a bike with an over the bar kit. I proceeded to bounce my chest off the bars which lead to a cracked sternum.

A very good point. I hit myself in the chest all of the time. I run a high bar which helps a bit but the underbar mount is a better option IMO. I have been using a Scotts for over a decade now with zero problems. I switch it from bike to bike.

I've ran the same Scott's unit since 2002 on five different bikes. I'll never go without it.

I have both the RTT and Scotts, and I am trying to get the RTT off my current bike and mount the Scotts up.

If I had the money though, a GPR would be my choice.

If I had the money though, a GPR would be my choice.

Why??

Even though the GPR is less expensive, the Scotts damper is much better and has more useful, functional adjustments available.

They are both very good products. As for leaks, GPR fixes them for free FYI. Most people don't understand the differences between the two. GPR has 8 levels of adjustment BUT it works both ways, it damps as you turn the bars out AND as you turn the bars in. That does not make it bad, simply different. Some instances that style is preferred, some not. Scotts has alot of adjustment but is different in a couple ways from my experience. It can be on a light setting and if the the bar gets jerked the valve kicks into effect and damps that movement. Also unlike the GPR the Scotts can damp as your bars go out, but let the bars return to straight freely, or without damping. IF i'm wrong about this i'm sure someone can set us straight...

Im not sure the point of your post. He was just making a statement about what he thought was right and if he was wrong someone could correct him.

looks like i'm gonna try the scotts. Unless i can find a smokin deal on a gpr. Thanks:ride:

Im not sure the point of your post. He was just making a statement about what he thought was right and if he was wrong someone could correct him.

my post was sarcastic and the point was " if you say something wrong on here you will rarely escape being corrected" :thumbsup: <----non sarcastic this time:thumbsup:

cant go wrong with gpr or scotts. i have the gpr-v-1 and i love it,it does leak at the end of each season(which sucks) but i wont ride with out it. a few of my friends have the scotts unit and they love it,i guess what im saying is you will love either one,just make sure your susp. is set up first or your just putting a bandaid on the problem.

I have a WER on mine at the moment and just for the simplicity of adjustments, I love it. The guys over there are also great people to deal with and take time to answer any question that you have. I assume that the other companies have great customer service also, but in my dealings with WER, I will just stick with them.

If you have an AF YZ you want to use the GPR post (better design) and mates with the Scotts perfectly.

The Scotts post you have to tap a screw into the frame... what were they thinking?

I will look into that thanks for that info. I'm goin to order the scotts You can order replacement parts from them and gpr won't sell them. The free service is a plus but the scotts looks like it is more adjustable.:thumbsup:

Go to GPR's web site, they detail some of the differences, and of course why theirs is better.

The one thing I do like about the gpr is how easy it is to adjust on the fly. I crank it down most of the time, usually about a 2-3 and crank it up for the deep sand whoops about 6ish.

The scotts seems a little harder to adjust on the fly, but it does offer more adjustment features. As far as the dampening on return to center, I really didn't think it was a big deal either way.

For my purposes the gpr seems a little more user friendly.

The main advantage of the Scotts as already indicated is the separate and independently adjustable high and low speed damping valving. When the GPR is turned down, as it usually is for most riding, the high speed damping is turned down as well. In the Scotts when the low speed damping is turned down for less interference at lower speeds, the high speed damping is still available to take care of the sharp and potentially disastrous high speed jolts.

I had a honda one rigged up on mine for a while. It was ok, I never made the top mount to the frame strong enough, and after it broke once I just took it off. If you did one up real nice and had it revalved stiffer, I think that would be the way to go.