Sign in to follow this  

help a newbie

so i'm 19 years old and have a tight budget. i found a 1987 kx125 on c's list for $500. the kid who owns it said he just rebuilt the top end and it has less than 15 hours on it. he also said it will start first kick. i want to know what i'll be getting into if i do buy it, and if i am getting a good deal or not

thanks

also this will be my first dirtbike. i have an atv now, but am clueless on 2 strokes and what to look for in a used bike

Depends on what u wanna use it for..tracks? Go for Yamaha...u will luv it...trails...go for a Kawi...

Get the cheapest one first as you haven't tried it and might not like it. Grow from there.

Ensure it is reliable, have parts and ridden by most people. Read other forums and ask for reviews. Go deep into this forum too.

Then you will be able to make better decisions.

I havent seen the bike your looking at but i have a friend that has a 78 rm 125 and the thing is still in really good condition. It has more to do with how the owner has treated the bike, thats how you will be able to tell if its a good bike, but if its on craigslist you never really know if they are telling the truth, im not trying to say its a bad place to shop i got my bike on their, just try to see if the guys lying to you before you get it.

And about going from 4 wheelers to dirtbikes. I was the exact same way as kinda hesitant to get a 2 stroke at first, expecially a 125 but after i got it i absolutly loved it. now i almost never use the 4 wheeler definately go for the 2 stroke they are amazing!!!

I am not against old bikes, in fact I have a 89 ktm, but you should be aware parts are the biggest problem on older bikes. Do you know how to work on it? Most shops will probably be hesitant to work on it, just realize if something major goes wrong it may be a throw away (or part it out). You are only looking at 500, but if you can get your budget up a little you could probably get a lot more bike. It is a buyrsmarket, remember that.