Sign in to follow this  

Update! '04 te250 that wont kick start

i have posted previously about my bike. it is hard starting with the e-start when cold but when it has been running it starts back up perfectly. sometimes i have to boost it to get it running for the first time. and i have NEVER succesfully kickstarted the bike. well i pulled the plug and put a new one in, turned it over with the e-start and it has good spark. try it with the kickstart and no spark. put the plug back in and the engine compression bogs the starter down and it wont start. boost it and starts right away. i dont know a whole lot about dirtbikes but seems to me this would be the ignition stator causing the problem as the bike will only start when it spins fast, do you guys agree?. does this sound right? is there any way to test the ignition stator? thanks

Hmmm- how old is your battery? Also, check the starter connections and battery connections. Your starter could be dying. My '04 will turn the engine over very well, even with the 310 kit. Kickstarting it has always been a problem for me too. That may be a lean condition. Haven't heard of problems with the stator or CDI but... Call Tasky's in Washington. they should be able to tell you how to test the various components.

Call Tasky's in Washington. they should be able to tell you how to test the various components.

That's a good call. CDI's usually die completely, but ignition coils and stators can go intermittent or weak and the only way to find the problem is with a multimeter (or better still, by substituting with known good parts - if you have a buddy with the same bike). The stator can be damaged if metallic swarf builds up on the inside of the generator rotor. BTW it's a good idea to whip off the generator cover periodically and check the rotor is clean.

Check all electrical connections are clean - including the earth connection to the ignition coil (which can be problematic). Disconnect the kill switch temporarily and try the spark test again (I once had problems when my kill switch was full of water!)

A labouring starter motor may be a sign of the auto decompressor in the head being faulty. This may be the case (and is worth checking out), but as you can boost-start the bike then perhaps your battery is on the way out.

naw its a new battery. bike is running rich. like i said, i have never been able to kickstart the bike. never even got so much of a cough out of it using the kickstart. if i pull the plug and kick it over there is no spark. does anyone know how to test the stator? i'll pull the cover and take a look at it this weekend. any other ideas?

so i went out and pulled the stator cover, whoa i didnt think that it was open to the engine oil! ended up doing half an oil change.... but i cleaned up the stator, there was a bunch of metal stuff inside the flywheel thing. looks like the timing magnets have worn through the plastic on the magnetic pickup slightly. couldnt figure out how a guy would set the gap on that thing as there is no access as far as i could see. but i cleaned it and put it back together. topped up the oil. an whalaa, got it to kickstart twice! is there any way to set the gap on that magnetic pickup? or is it just a bolt in and go thing

Haven't looked my self inside but sometimes you can set the airgap sometimes you can't. If there is no obvious signs of adjustment then it probably isn't adjustable. I would also be concerned about bits of metal stuck to the magnets though. Could be crank bearings, or gears. I would check the end float on the crank and also up and down freeplay. (end float is the movement in and out of the crank)