Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Q&A

I wanna hear some opinions on what i should do with my suspension on my YZ. I just bought it and its to soft for me the way it is now, i weigh 230 without gear.

I am only a beginer when it comes to moto cross. Ive only ridden on the track for one season , all our tracks are rather large outdoor fast tracks with pretty big air( although im still skippin the triples lol)

The dilema is I have the oppurtunity to purchase a set of 08 450f forks/triple tree and rear shock for what i feel is a rather fair price. I know i hear alot about how much better the 06-up suspension is but i wonder where im so new to the sport if the difference will even be noticed by me.

as it stands now I am going to need my 03 stuff revalved and resprung so im debating wether i should kick in the extra coin and buy the 08 stuff and have that revalved and resprung.

I feel it's that much better my 03 was valved for me and my 09 i think was better in stock form. Now that i have the 09 valved it's great get the new stuff you won't be disappointed.:thumbsup:

I am a guy that has spent a fortune trying to get my suspension right. Here is what I know that will save you some money.

Keep the forks you have and save your money. Here's why...

there will be nothing wrong with the forks you have once you get them done. Although the newer forks are better technology, you are only a beginner and you won't be able to tell the difference. If you were riding stock 03 vs stock 06 forks, then that's a difference. But revalved 03 vs revalved 06 is no difference at your level.

As you get better, you will have to upgrade your suspension again anyway. So i would wait for you to outgrow the forks that you have before you go upgrading the forks.

Save your money and use what you got. Spend the money later.

Honestly with so little seat time you probably wont notice any difference... before you spend big bucks on upgrading suspension and then having to still get it sprung and valved I suggest you get your current suspension sprung and valved for your weight, style and ability and it will be just fine for your first couple of seasons or until you acquire the speed and ability to recognize the differences and personal needs you wish to gain from your suspension set up!