Sign in to follow this  

530 radiator mount for 6.3g tank??

i just got my new acerbis 6.3gal tank in today. i dont see how the rads mount to it, or do they? if they dont, what holds the from flopping? the stock shrouds mount to the outside of the rads to stiffen them up.

do they just flop? :thumbsup:

Im not getting what you are talking about. You do mean the radiators, right? I know it's a little different year but my 4gal tank has the shrouds as part of the tank. On the stock tank, the shrouds bolted into the plastic of the tank. Also, the rads are bolted to the frame. Maybe some pics would help? (And I want to see the new Exxon Valdez!)

even with the 13L tank the rads just sit there and kinda float if you will. the only thing that holds them in place is the rubber grommets to the frame.

I have the clarke tank installed, and the lower part of the shrouds mount to the lower part of the radiators. That is probably what he is talking about.

kellymac bought the acerbis. I bought the KTM tank. ULEWZ bought the clarke.....

too amny options... I bet they all have different mounting procedures.

even with the 13L tank the rads just sit there and kinda float if you will. the only thing that holds them in place is the rubber grommets to the frame.

yes the radiators or rads. the inner edge of each rad bolts to the frame. but the outer edge has 1 bolt that attaches to the radiator shroud, which kinda stabilizes the radiators.

there is no place on the exxon valdez tanker to bolt the rads to because there are no shrouds, the tank has wings. now they can wiggle forward and backward a bit. :thumbsup:

If it is like the what they did on the RFS tank there is nothing connected to the outboard side of the radiators. This is the same way KTM did the MXC tanks on the RFS. KTM does use a spacer (same part as held captive by the tank mount bolt) mounted to the lower shroud mount so I installed one for the big tank. Provides a buffer so the tank doesn't contact/wear on the radiator directly.

I also lined the outside surface of the radiators with adhesive backed foam/rubber strip to pad and direct air through the radiators. The rubber gasket tape sold by auto parts stores for mounting camper shells works well.

Does the 530 tank have support hardware?

Bruce

the tank is the same tank as the ktm hard parts 6.3gal tank.

yes it came with new rubber groumets that the tank sits on where they mount to the frame. it mounts exactly the same as the stock tank. it sits on 2 rubber groumets that bolt to the side of the frame, then there is a pin that sticks up thru the top of the frame and tank with a groumet and bolt. that is it. the stock tank then had 2 bolts one on each shroud into the outside edge of the radiators. this bolt stabilized both the tank and the radiators.

on this supertanker the shrouds are incorporated in the tank and hold fuel so there is nowhere to put a bolt to the shroud.

so on the infamous MXC tank, there was no bolts there either?

Nope, but you should have rubber bumpers to bolt on the rads that will contact the tank wings when installed.

Nope, but you should have rubber bumpers to bolt on the rads that will contact the tank wings when installed.

On the MXC (RFS) these bumpers were the same part number as the centering grommet used with the mounting bolt. You could go to the hardware store and find some bolt on rubber feet like on the bottom of a microwave or something and do the same thing.

Sound like on the new 530 tank they dropped the lower wing support bracket hardware.

Bruce

yes that is how it mounts with rubber groumets on the rads that the tank wings interlock with.

with everyone here helped me figure it out better than the retarded directions.

thanx guys

• Like 1