Sign in to follow this  

Fan on drz400s?

Does a drz400e have a fan? If not do i need the one on my 2002 400s? And also are the radiators the same between the S and E model, i was wondering cause if so and i don't need the fan i'll grab some braces for it. I live in upper ny, it does't get too hot in summer up here.

The e does not have the fan. I removed the fan from my S and have not had any issues. All you have to do is get the E model gasket to go in place of your T-stat. This allows the coolant to flow full-time.

Good Luck

Depends on the riding you do. My fan comes on mostly when stuck in traffic on a hot day, or, lugging up some slow trail. The E produces more heat than the S. I believe I could get along without the fan 95% or more of the time,especially if I was aware of any overheating.

Does a drz400e have a fan? If not do i need the one on my 2002 400s? And also are the radiators the same between the S and E model, i was wondering cause if so and i don't need the fan[highlight] i'll grab some braces for it.[/highlight] I live in upper ny, it does't get too hot in summer up here.

Unabiker (and other) rad guards fit WITH the fan in place. Why make your engine likely fail sooner by removing the fan? Heat kills engines.

did the computer fan install last weekend and then rode her hard in some tight steep slow trails. didnt see any coolant enter the over flow jug. fan mod workes great, im thrilled. radio shack has a 79 cfm 120mm fan for $10 and it fit between the rad. mounting bolts nice and snug. had to grind the outer edge off the rad guard and then cover the edge and the exposed 1/4" of fan w/ 90* angle alum, but it looks great and works like a charm. thank guys

ill go take some right now. how do i attach them. new to forum

upload to photobucket or picasa (whoever) and then right click the image once it's hosted there. "copy image URL" or whatever, then drop that URL inside a couple of brackets like this: Screen%20shot%202010-09-27%20at%203.26.26%20PM.png

the "img" with the brackets is what you want to use...... or just click the icon up there with the landscape... ;-)

If you become a TT supporter the ads disappear and you can put attach pictures into your posts.

Like this:

The first one explains why you should install rad guards. :smirk:

It hasn't leaked yet 2 years and 10,000km later.

Artistic metal work by a willow branch.

The second is looking off Blue Grouse Mountain towards Kelowna, BC on a Wednesday group ride.:p

Photo-0031.jpg

Photo-0024A.jpg

did the computer fan install last weekend and then rode her hard in some tight steep slow trails. didnt see any coolant enter the over flow jug. fan mod workes great, im thrilled. radio shack has a 79 cfm 120mm fan for $10 and it fit between the rad. mounting bolts nice and snug. had to grind the outer edge off the rad guard and then cover the edge and the exposed 1/4" of fan w/ 90* angle alum, but it looks great and works like a charm. thank guys

How does this fan fair with water crossings?

well i would imagine that a full submersion would probabaly cause them to fail. i could be wrong though. mythbusters confronted the underwater window/door opening myth(if you drove off a bridge into a lake) and i remember it took about 30mins under water to fry a power window motor. but these are computer fans, i would guess couldnt take a quick dunk though. honestly i have never been in that deep and i do all i can to avoid getting soaked. i just go around those 3' deep puddles. i read a lot of posts about these computer fans and many of them stated that they dont even try to avoid spraying them w/ the hose while cleaning their bike. i think i read that you can buy a 'sealled' fan...whatever that really means when its under water is questionable though.

As you can see from my Avatar, I submerge my bike all too often. I guess for the price, its easily replaceable if/when it stops working. I have no fan on my kicker, so it will overheat on slow singletrack.