Sign in to follow this  

BBR D2 vs PC T4

im about to order an exhaust for my 230f. ive got it narrowed down to the BBR D2 and the PC T4.

Has anybody owned both ? or one and a friend has the other or something ?

Im just hoping for a little help in my decision here. What can you tell me.

both are great pipes... I run both... I have 2 230's and 2 150's... can't go wrong with either...

I have a few 150f's, one of which has the BBR and one the T4. The T4 seems to have a more mellow tone which I like. Doubt there's much difference in power. T4 has a stepped header though.

Both pipes are great. I have the D2 on my 230 and my friend has the T4 on his 230. The D2 does provide more room for tire clearance and comes with a heat shield for the head pipe. The T4 head pipe appears smaller in diameter but is just very thin walled pipe and is actually larger in diameter on the inside than the D2. The T4 with a bbr cam seems to be a very torqey combo.

I have the PC T4. Excellent quality, sound, performance and fit. Saved nearly 2 lbs relative to stock exhaust! I used the original heat shield with some clamps on the header. (pics in Garage):banana:

I have the t4, its ok. Theres no heat shield and the header walls are very thin. The header often heats up out of control, it didnt when i had the stock pipe.

One interesting thing - PC is the only company that states two diff part numbers for the CRF150 and CRF230 exhaust - so maybe it's a larger pipe than the PC CRF150 pipe?

I'd love to have someone with a PC CRF150 exhaust measure (in mm) the header and the step side of the exhaust as well as the hole size in the muffler =AND= have someone with a PC CRF230 exhaust do the same thing...

Some companies will put diff part numbers on the same items - is that what PC is doing or is the 230 exhaust actually diff???

Mikeee P

best I can tell is tighter tolerance... the 230 motor uses different top motor mounts to accomodate the higher head height... the cylinder is taller and that would make the exhaust port be a bit higher than on a 150... ?

best I can tell is tighter tolerance... the 230 motor uses different top motor mounts to accomodate the higher head height... the cylinder is taller and that would make the exhaust port be a bit higher than on a 150... ?

With the engines tipped a bit forward and the 230 engine being taller the 230 header may be slightly longer to make up for the little difference in distance from the exhaust port to the point where the header and pipe couple together.

airmaxx 23, your right

Is that the actual reason? It makes sense to me. The exhaust port on a 230 is probably more "forward" on the bike compared to a 150 so maybe the header is slightly longer. I don't think it would be much though.

The only thing is BBR and none of the other companies do this. They have the same pipe for the 150/230 and the mounts mount up correctly...

Mike