Sign in to follow this  

Ohlins Nitrogen Piston

I am rebuilding a Ohlins shock that has a piston instead of a bladder,is there a measurement for the piston or do I just put it in there anywhere??????:thumbsup::ride:

on the TTX44 stuff i think its suppose to be 8ish mm from top out.

i use 10% and add a few mm on, eg 90mm of travel=9mm back, plus a few mm, so i would go 12mm

i use 10% and add a few mm on, eg 90mm of travel=9mm back, plus a few mm, so i would go 12mm

I hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread,

mog, so you push the piston all the way down to the bottom and then

back up 10% + 2mm correct or no?

Thanks,

James

Do you use the same method for a Sachs shock?

Sorry to hijack the hijacked!

OMG!! Ohlins has a separator piston!?!?! Quick! Someone make a bladder kit for it!!

(just kidding......)

OMG!! Ohlins has a separator piston!?!?! Quick! Someone make a bladder kit for it!!

(just kidding......)

LOL:thumbsup:

doc

(just kidding......)

Yeah really:busted: All that heat and friction that piston creates heck how does it even move:p

interesting they set it at 33mm from bottomed, is that rod out or in?

i am a little confused by this idea of ohlins? i just did a 08 ktm 144sx , the piston was set to 5mm from bottomed, thats a big difference to 33mm of ohlins,

if we think about it, a short shock body with a piston set to 33mm, will have a huge pressure rise, where the long one wont, this is not a consistant way to build a shock? i cant see how ohlins feel this is the right way to do it?

mog, I see what you are saying. The same chart is in the workshop manual

as well for the older type shocks. However, I was talking to Ohlins the other day about setting the piston height on a ITC shock, he did not mention anything about measuring the piston height. He said, that when the piston is at the bottom, and the shaft is installed the displacement would set the height?:banana:

jwaseman

well thats very true, its just i dont build them that way, i build them dry :banana:

i think i will stick to my method, it has served me well and works for all shocks so far...

I always measure the seal head and then set the piston at that distance. In the past before my vac machine I originally just bottomed them and let it set itself when pushing the seal hd. in but that made it harder to do a final bleed so went back to measuring and allowing a little extra for the final bleed.

doc