Sign in to follow this  

XL600 rear disc conversion

I'm adding new mags, so a rear master cylinder was needed.

Had a VFR800 master cylinder left over from another build, which worked out nicely.

Made a pair of mount brackets and welded them to the frame....fabbed up a little extention arm to the brake pedal.

Even kept the stock location on the switch.

Toutched up the frame paint and painted the pedal.

Waula.

Need to do something about the ugly hose though.

.2336795820102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

More on the caliper later.

Gene.

hey old timer,seen this machine on another thread it looks magic.i can not imagine theres much more mods to do as you have done them all.what did you do to keep the caliper in place.are you adding some sort of torsion bar??

hey old timer,seen this machine on another thread it looks magic.i can not imagine theres much more mods to do as you have done them all.what did you do to keep the caliper in place.are you adding some sort of torsion bar??

Thanks for the compliments.

I really wanted to use a torque arm, (good idea you had) like what the older MX bikes used to use.

Linking the caliper to the frame keeps the brake torque away from the suspension....anti-squat and no chatter.

With that, the caliper mount would need a pivot bushing where the axle goes through. I didn't want the extra hassle of more fab work and complexity, but it would have added more cool custom pieces to the overall build.

I machined a slider block and welded it to the swinger for the brake stay.

.2695629210102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

I really wanted to use a torque arm, (good idea you had) like what the older MX bikes used to use.

Linking the caliper to the frame keeps the brake torque away from the suspension....anti-squat and no chatter.

With that, the caliper mount would need a pivot bushing where the axle goes through. I didn't want the extra hassle of more fab work and complexity, but it would have added more cool custom pieces to the overall build.

I machined a slider block and welded it to the swinger for the brake stay.

.2695629210102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

very neat.i need to come up with some idea like this as i am putting the slr 650 rear brake set up onto my xl600lm in place of the drum.the only problem being the brake stay is on the inside of the swinger.i was thinking of some sort of wrap around bracket although it would look pretty ugly.maybe i just need to puy more thought into it....

sweet, wish i could weld. i really don't mind my drums. but i would upgrade if i could.

Do you have a picture of the SLR's caliper bracket?

i am 41 years old and just got my first camera fuji-film z20 .i need to read the instructions at least twice to work everything out however its the same slider and block design as yours but fits inside the swinger and has two slider stays instead of one.very restricted for space.hope this makes sense.

sweet, wish i could weld. i really don't mind my drums. but i would upgrade if i could.

i think the rear drum works great and would not really bother about it but i am using the wheels of the slr (akront wheels) so have no choice.do not forget the drum system was at the peak of its design in the mid eighties sometimes better than some of the disc systems of the same era.thats my opinion anyway.

I've owned two different 1983 CRs....one was a 250, and the 480 that I still have.

Rear drum brakes on those were really good/predictible.

The double-leading shoe front drums are a huge upgrade when compared to the performance of the SLS.

Front disc-to-drum comparisons is that there is no comparison.

But you're right, the older rear shoes work great.

Best pic I had to look at....linking the backing plate to the frame makes perfect sense.

I'm almost disappointed that i didn't do my caliper the same way.

2476014990102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

I've owned two different 1983 CRs....one was a 250, and the 480 that I still have.

Rear drum brakes on those were really good/predictible.

The double-leading shoe front drums are a huge upgrade when compared to the performance of the SLS.

Front disc-to-drum comparisons is that there is no comparison.

But you're right, the older rear shoes work great.

Best pic I had to look at....linking the backing plate to the frame makes perfect sense.

I'm almost disappointed that i didn't do my caliper the same way.

2476014990102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

never in my wildest dreams did i think i would see a 480 with blinkers.have you got that brut road legal now.thats a clinker what else have you in your stable.thanks for sharing the photo.

Yeah, it's road legal...has been for quite a while.

.2336445370102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

Kind of put it in mothballs since I got the 500 finished.

I like the theme so much, which is why the 600 is getting F3 wheels.

.2315526010102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

.2763509450102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

and then my other 2T streeter.

Before

.2923208420102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

during

.2356648330102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

after

.2756974770102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

and the old Titan waiting it's turn at a new life.

.2033351740102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

There's others listed in my sig, but pretty much parts, pieces and works in progress.

Thanks for asking.....always willing to show what hours of wrenching can accomplish.

i am about to put my monitor out my window.for the last hour i have been trying to reply.

if i write more than a few lines nada.i have to keep signing in.my eyes are sore so its time for sleep.speak soon old timer.ride safe.

As far as I know it's all stock.

I have a spare set of jugs and heads.

I might port the spares and mill the heads for more compression, or at least that's what I'm thinking (if it ever gets done, that's another question).

It runs fine as is, I have no desire to hop it up. More power usually brings on breakage, I'd sure hate to bust the tranny and be SOL.

We flew into Shannon a few years ago, rented a car and made our way around the Ring of Kerry. Saw pretty much all of South Ireland. People were nice, food was great, had a good time.

It was a mistake to fly out of Dublin, the city was busy and the traffic was bad.

Luckily we went during the off season. A majority of the restaurants/pubs weren't crowded and there weren't a bunch of those stupid American drivers holding up traffic.

Nice country you have there, my congrats.

Didn't see many bikers though.

As far as I know it's all stock.

I have a spare set of jugs and heads.

I might port the spares and mill the heads for more compression, or at least that's what I'm thinking (if it ever gets done, that's another question).

It runs fine as is, I have no desire to hop it up. More power usually brings on breakage, I'd sure hate to bust the tranny and be SOL.

We flew into Shannon a few years ago, rented a car and made our way around the Ring of Kerry. Saw pretty much all of South Ireland. People were nice, food was great, had a good time.

It was a mistake to fly out of Dublin, the city was busy and the traffic was bad.

Luckily we went during the off season. A majority of the restaurants/pubs weren't crowded and there weren't a bunch of those stupid American drivers holding up traffic.

Nice country you have there, my congrats.

Didn't see many bikers though.

i would agree with you on the kh.if you increased the bhp it would open up a can of worms upgrading brakes etc...the west coast of ireland is beautiful my favourite county is co clare.cliffs of moher and spanish point.i spent some time around that area in my twenties.i was born in belfast in 1969 at the start of the troubles so i grew up with a lot of hate and by the age of 17 i knew it would be better for me to leave.i did so and lived around europe happy and free.i came back several years ago and a lot has changed although there is still a fair share of ******** mostly politicians but thats another story for another time.its nice to hear you have spent some time in the emerald isle.i have been off line for a few days so some photos should be here to few soon.ill chuck in a few extras of the surrounding sights which you might find interesting.hopefully mr tt wiill not object.

we went to Germany in 2000, and really enjoyed the place. The younger/middle aged generation could speak English, so communicating wasn't an issue.

Beautiful place, awesome vehicles and German "pride" was something to witness.....only saw a few non-German built cars the whole time we were there (we did cruise the streets/highways there also). It was nice not to be disgusted w/the Honda ricers w/fart cans causing trouble.

Saw some cool/unique bikes also......Funny thing to see Corvettes being the exotic.

My wife went back a year ago and a lot has chenged there also. All the little "mom/pop" gift shops that we went to were gone and oriental stores/restaurants/people were taking over.

Beautiful scenery in Ireland.

.2543913770102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

The Skoda TDI ran amazingly fast, handled the high-speed driving quite well and had amazing brakes. Fuel mileage was around 50 MPG. Too bad the cheap American cars are nowhere near that performance. We drove around all of Ireland for a week straight and it took less than 2 tanks of petrol.

.2093247100102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

Had my first of many Guiness beers there. Also stopped at Ducati on the way to the air port and witnessed the awe of the 1098 from a guy that rode in.

Driving on the "other" side of the road really wasn't bad.

Had to really pay attention at times.....but handled it pretty well, no doubt.

It was exciting to drive in a land where people really know how to drive and also respect the road/other drivers.

Sorry...... Caugt a couple of vids also.

On the way to Dublin:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3095022410102045454nJahkH

Some little town by the coast:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3081898240102045454GIfPlI

we went to Germany in 2000, and really enjoyed the place. The younger/middle aged generation could speak English, so communicating wasn't an issue.

Beautiful place, awesome vehicles and German "pride" was something to witness.....only saw a few non-German built cars the whole time we were there (we did cruise the streets/highways there also). It was nice not to be disgusted w/the Honda ricers w/fart cans causing trouble.

Saw some cool/unique bikes also......Funny thing to see Corvettes being the exotic.

My wife went back a year ago and a lot has chenged there also. All the little "mom/pop" gift shops that we went to were gone and oriental stores/restaurants/people were taking over.

Beautiful scenery in Ireland.

.2543913770102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

The Skoda TDI ran amazingly fast, handled the high-speed driving quite well and had amazing brakes. Fuel mileage was around 50 MPG. Too bad the cheap American cars are nowhere near that performance. We drove around all of Ireland for a week straight and it took less than 2 tanks of petrol.

.2093247100102045454S600x600Q85.jpg

Had my first of many Guiness beers there. Also stopped at Ducati on the way to the air port and witnessed the awe of the 1098 from a guy that rode in.

Driving on the "other" side of the road really wasn't bad.

Had to really pay attention at times.....but handled it pretty well, no doubt.

It was exciting to drive in a land where people really know how to drive and also respect the road/other drivers.

Sorry...... Caugt a couple of vids also.

On the way to Dublin:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3095022410102045454nJahkH

Some little town by the coast:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3081898240102045454GIfPlI

looks like your rather handy with a camera old timer.its a bit of an enchanted scene (slightly spooky) but i have to say i do like it.reminds me of alaska without the white stuff.not that i have been.those vw skodas are a cracking package about 30% of private taxi men use them up here.probably a lot smaller than what you are used to but i bet you found it comfortable.ahh germany i stayed in a place called giesen in my twenties and could not wait to get back to holland as fast as possible on the autobahn..having trouble with your videos..surprize surprize

looks like your rather handy with a camera old timer.its a bit of an enchanted scene (slightly spooky) but i have to say i do like it.reminds me of alaska without the white stuff.not that i have been.those vw skodas are a cracking package about 30% of private taxi men use them up here.probably a lot smaller than what you are used to but i bet you found it comfortable.ahh germany i stayed in a place called giesen in my twenties and could not wait to get back to holland as fast as possible on the autobahn..having trouble with your videos..surprize surprize

hjukytffuuyiup;o;;;k

hjukytffuuyiup;o;;;k

my crankcase breather goes to breather box then into air filter housing and then 2nd pipe from b/box goes in behind the stator cover.the manual clearly shows that there should be a pipe from the breather box to atmosphere.its all stock parts never seen this before.whats your opinion if any.