Sign in to follow this  

zeta hand guards?

So i got them in today and tried to install them but ran into a small problem! the anchor bolt that they send with the kit that goes into the end of the bar doesn't fit into the bar. the bar hole is way small, what did any of you guys do in this situation? am i going to need to drill it out bigger or tap and die it? or did some one find a smaller anchor bolt? any input would be helpful thanks!

o ya i have 09 smr510.

So i got them in today and tried to install them but ran into a small problem! the anchor bolt that they send with the kit that goes into the end of the bar doesn't fit into the bar. the bar hole is way small, what did any of you guys do in this situation? am i going to need to drill it out bigger or tap and die it? or did some one find a smaller anchor bolt? any input would be helpful thanks!

o ya i have 09 smr510.

The original owner had already drilled the ends of my standard bars out when I bought the bike (08 SMR510) in order to fit a set of Acerbis s/moto handguards,I didn't realise this until I changed them for a Easton setup and saw the ends:thumbsup:

On my 2006 610 the hole in the end of the bar is just over 7/16", just right for a 1/2" tap, I chose fine thread because that is what I had (I have been told that course thread is more proper in aluminum). Went to the local traditional hardware store (not Home Dustpan) and got some nylon spacers/bushings, 1/2" dia by 1" long with a 1/4" bore. Tapped the center 8mm for the screw that came with the busters and took a die to the outside to match the tapped bar. Used a 1/2 drill chuck as a pin vise to hold the nylon bushing. Used a bolt with a jam nut to install the bushing. Very easy, very cheap, the bushing were $0.25 each.